Hybrid fuel cost savings

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hybrid fuel cost savings

Brand new TCH owner, still on my first tank. I've been eyeing hybrid vehicles for a while now and finally took the plunge with the TCH. I like to look at numbers and have been waiting to see a 'payback' period of around 3 years before I would buy one. The TCH was the first to make enough sense...for me anyway. Here is how I roughly estimated the payback period: 80mi round trip to work => ~20.8Kmi/yr. A 2007 Camry XLE 4cyl w/traction control looks like the closest comparable model (+/- a few features). Using MSRP: XLE $26,170; TCH $28,080 (w/moon roof); cost difference: $1910. Estimated MPG: XLE 27; TCH: 39. Fuel cost/yr @ $3/gal & 20.8K/yr: XLE $2311; TCH $1600, a difference of $711. Purchase price difference - tax credit ($1910-$650) = $1260. Purchase price difference divided by fuel savings ($1260/$711)=years to payoff: 1.77yrs.

I will drive this car for 12+ years (hope it lasts that long!) so this was a no-brainer. Now if gas prices keep going up it pays off that much sooner.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid fuel cost savings

Basing your purchase only on fuel economy and savings from it is not a prudent one. All of us make assumptions that may not hold good with time (fuel efficiency declines with the age of any car). A hybrid car must be bought with several reasons in mind. Fuel efficiency is one small factor. The fact that you care about the environment, the fact that you can get a very comfortable ride at very little compromise (dollars and fuel) and lastly, the pleasure of gadgetry also should be considerations in a purchase. When you view it this way, you enjoy your purchase from day 1, not from year 2!

Old 06-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

Hi ravinat. It's intersting to me that you would say basing the descision on economics is not prudent, when that is exactly what it IS. But I hear what you're saying. I know the cost numbers are quite variable and estimates are always subjective. I agree, there is more to the purchase, but for most people $$$ is the deal maker/breaker. When I decided this was the right way to go and I brought the car home, my neighbor came right out to chat (funny how quick that happens!). She has an 07 Camry LE. When I told her mine was a hybrid her first reaction was a dismissive hand wave, saying I spent too much. But when I gave her the numbers she changed her tune.

I think the TCH has turned the corner for hybrids and people will begin to see the practicallity of owning one. This will snowball and be good for everyone. More sales=more money spent on researching better, safer batteries=lower cost, more efficient hybrids=more sales.....pretty soon a majority of people are driving greener vehicles and driving past gas stations with a grin.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ravinat
Basing your purchase only on fuel economy and savings from it is not a prudent one. All of us make assumptions that may not hold good with time (fuel efficiency declines with the age of any car). A hybrid car must be bought with several reasons in mind. Fuel efficiency is one small factor. The fact that you care about the environment, the fact that you can get a very comfortable ride at very little compromise (dollars and fuel) and lastly, the pleasure of gadgetry also should be considerations in a purchase. When you view it this way, you enjoy your purchase from day 1, not from year 2!

I have a 2001 Prius that has just turned 90,000 miles. My fuel economy is as good or better than when I bought it. The Toyota Hybrids have changed the dynamics of automobiles.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobofky
I have a 2001 Prius that has just turned 90,000 miles. My fuel economy is as good or better than when I bought it. The Toyota Hybrids have changed the dynamics of automobiles.
Properly maintained car will not decrease it's mpg until things start falling apart and I read at least 3 long term studies showing that Prius, contrary to popular believe, lost very little as far as mpg go even if hybrid batteries were worn out and lost it's original capacity. I also don't believe gas will go bellow $3, except maybe short term when consumption goes lower than normal, dead of winter maybe when I won't drive much either.
The main reason I would point out $$ savings for hybrids is to debunk nonsense spread out even in popular car magazines that you can't recover the extra cost of hybrid drive train. Some people will take long time to recover , but some will recover extra cost very quickly, especially if you drive a lot in traffic, like I do. I should be breaking even before end of second year. General perception is very important and we need to bring facts and real numbers out so others can make educated decisions instead of following misconceptions and propaganda like the infamous bunch of lies "dust to dust energy report" claiming hummer is more eco friendly than Prius.
FYI Honda canceled Accord Hybrid in its 2008 line up and will bring Accord diesel instead. Do I think this is a stupid idea? Yes I do, instead of improving their hybrid system and rethink the idea of high performance hybrid, they bring back diesel, which at the moment is sold in only 1 car in US, Mercedes, due to not meeting pollution laws.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast

The way that I approach the subject is to say, "Let's suppose you want to buy a new car. you go to a dealer and he says, "If you buy my car I will pay half of your gas bill for as long as you own the car." Would you buy it?" Usually they say, "Yes, but he won't say that." I say, "If you buy a Prius, that is what you get."

The other thing that I try to emphasize is that a new Prius is not as expensive as some of the popular cars that are similarly equipped. You get future technology, great fuel economy, a huge reduction in emissions, a fabulous warranty and a tax credit, all in one fun to drive package.

There are Priuses still going after 180,000 to 240,000 miles without any battery problems.

No numbers are going to convince me that is not the best deal available.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ckw_64
Brand new TCH owner, still on my first tank. I've been eyeing hybrid vehicles for a while now and finally took the plunge with the TCH. I like to look at numbers and have been waiting to see a 'payback' period of around 3 years before I would buy one. The TCH was the first to make enough sense...for me anyway. Here is how I roughly estimated the payback period: 80mi round trip to work => ~20.8Kmi/yr. A 2007 Camry XLE 4cyl w/traction control looks like the closest comparable model (+/- a few features). Using MSRP: XLE $26,170; TCH $28,080 (w/moon roof); cost difference: $1910. Estimated MPG: XLE 27; TCH: 39. Fuel cost/yr @ $3/gal & 20.8K/yr: XLE $2311; TCH $1600, a difference of $711. Purchase price difference - tax credit ($1910-$650) = $1260. Purchase price difference divided by fuel savings ($1260/$711)=years to payoff: 1.77yrs.

I will drive this car for 12+ years (hope it lasts that long!) so this was a no-brainer. Now if gas prices keep going up it pays off that much sooner.
Congratulations on your purchase. Wish we were paying $3 a gallon now.