Hybrid cars dangerously quiet for pedestrians: US blind group

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Hybrid cars dangerously quiet for pedestrians: US blind group

Crank up those radios folks ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070214...t_070214034245

Last edited by schmidtj; 02-14-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid cars dangerously quiet for pedestrians: US blind group

Maybe hybrid vehicles should have a speaker mounted on the outside and play 'ice cream truck' music while in EV mode?

Old 02-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by tnsig
Maybe hybrid vehicles should have a speaker mounted on the outside and play 'ice cream truck' music while in EV mode?
Personally, I think the movie "Jaws" Theme Song is more appropriate. Uspecially when cruising up and down the parking lot lanes. Think about it.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
The Owners manual warns owners of this possible problem. It can really be a danger when backing out of the driveway. Extra caution is the price we pay for driving a technologically advanced car.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:23 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Just more calls for nanny government. Inconvenience 99.999% of the people so that the .001% don't have to make any adjustments. Blind people should have white canes or seeing eye dogs and they won't get run over.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have had this happen to me with my Toyota Highlander Hybrid running only on the electric motors and not from a blind person but with me going 20 MPH and some idiot runs out in front of me and I have to slam on my brakes and swerve to avoid killing her. This was in my neighborhood actualy lol. I am going to get a train horn to blow at people who do that.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by TKCamry
Just more calls for nanny government. Inconvenience 99.999% of the people so that the .001% don't have to make any adjustments. Blind people should have white canes or seeing eye dogs and they won't get run over.
Well it seems most of the blind people these days are driving cars. The way these idiots drive they must be blind.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well it isn't just the blind. I am a cyclist and I have been buzzed (well not really...I guess swooshed maybe is a better term) by several Prius'. Really wierd when you hear nothing and then all of a sudden this car goes by you.

I have had the parkinglot while in our TCH as well. You come up behind a ped in a parking lot and you can really scare the hell out of them when they realize you are there...or if the ICE kicks on. LOL I have seen quite a few people jump.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by highlanderhybrid
I have had this happen to me with my Toyota Highlander Hybrid running only on the electric motors and not from a blind person but with me going 20 MPH and some idiot runs out in front of me and I have to slam on my brakes and swerve to avoid killing her. This was in my neighborhood actualy lol. I am going to get a train horn to blow at people who do that.
At 20 MPH the tire noise alone should have alerted the idiot of your presence. However, there is no excuse for running out into a street without looking....

Old 02-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
However, there is no excuse for running out into a street without looking....
I believe this is a symptom of our ever growing entitlement society. "Cars have to yield to me, therefore, I'll just run out in front of them" or my favorite "cars have to wait for me so I'll take my sweet @ss time in the cross walk"

Quick Reply: Hybrid cars dangerously quiet for pedestrians: US blind group

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands