HVAC operation temporarily weak after brushless car wash

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HVAC operation temporarily weak after brushless car wash

For what it's worth, I always use a brushless car wash and always leave the A/C on during the wash, and I have not had this problem.

I'm voting with the air flow obstruction theory, including the possibility of the filter clog. It also seems possible that a filter partially matted up (with pollen for example) could have clogged worse with more dampness and then improved some upon drying.

As for the possibility of coil icing being the cause of the problem. It could have been a contributor, but probably not the underlying cause.

At one time I worked in A/C design, and I'm remembering from my A/C systems design and repair class that coil icing is almost always caused by insufficient air flow. Possible underlying causes could include foreign obstructions, ducting failures, failing fan motor, etc, but usually it's a clogged filter. Note, here, please, that even if your A/C is operating properly, you could conceivably cause an icing condition by having the fan turned down too low, especially if you have little sun load, high humidity and air temperature (including inside the cabin, particularly if in recirc. mode) not too hot.

Also, for completeness, it's worth mentioning that while icing is caused by too little air flow, the presence of water droplets in the discharge air is caused by too much air flow. A/C system designers normally establish the air flow velocity to be high enough to keep the coil temperature above freezing with 70-degree return air temperature but not so high that it will blow the condensing water off of the coil. A properlly functioning A/C is normally always condensing water out of the air being cooled. When the air flow velocity is in the optimum range, the condensed water remains liquid and drains away as liquid.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Regarding the clogged filter theory, we've only had the TCH for ~5 weeks with ~2,500 miles. If we've picked up that much pollen in that little time, then the air around here in SE PA is worse than I thought.

It is encouraging to hear you haven't experienced problems with the hi-pressure/brushless washes.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BobBass
Regarding the clogged filter theory, we've only had the TCH for ~5 weeks with ~2,500 miles. If we've picked up that much pollen in that little time, then the air around here in SE PA is worse than I thought.

It is encouraging to hear you haven't experienced problems with the hi-pressure/brushless washes.
Bob,

Yeah, I guess that at 5 weeks, your filter is still pretty clean, unless there's something odd, like it was already dirty when the car was delivered, or you haul around a lot of pets shedding hair, etc.

Still, I'm thinking your culprit was probably some kind of air flow problem, maybe something blown around by the car wash drier blower. or maybe something inside your system that shouldn't be there.

If the problem recurs, maybe you need the dealer to inspect. If it does not, then maybe you can count it as a fluke.

Other business:

I grew up in the Phila. area (Bonner High, Drexel U.). These days we can get a pretty good hoagie (sub) and a passable cheese steak down here in Houston, but I sure would like a Tastycake krimpet right now.
also, I'd be very interested in your assessment of the relative merits of the TCH and RX400h.

Jack

Old 08-18-2008, 05:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

I can confirm that my TCH cabin air filter got soaked when I went through a car wash.

Shortly after buying my new car, I went through a better quality car wash (one that uses more water), and noticed that the HVAC wasn't blowing even though the fan was on. I pulled out the cabin air filter and found it was very wet and had blue dye all over it. I took the filter out and everything worked fine. I let the filter air dry, then put it back in.

The blue dye was from the blue dye in the soaps sprayed on the car (I am gullible and paid for the high dollar extra "clear coat protection").

Since then I turn off the HVAC when going through a car wash, and have had no problems.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:26 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would second the suggestion that the problem was that car-wash water got blown/sucked into the air-conditioning system from the high-pressure water jets. The cabin air filter got soaking wet, and air could hardly pass through until it had dried out a bit. This has been reported in this forum a number of times in the past — search the old posts. Always put the air conditioning into "recirculate" (and for extra safety, even switch it "off" after putting it into "recirculate") to close the door that lets in the outside air, and so prevent water from being blown in. The air-flow controlling doors in the system are all electrically positioned by stepper motors; there are no vacuum controlled doors in the TCH. By the way, I think that the air bypasses the cabin air filter when in "recirculate" mode. If this is correct, putting your system into "recirculate" would have provided cool air even while the cabin air filter was wet.

Stan

Old 08-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

This has been reported in this forum a number of times in the past — search the old posts.
First thing I did was search for "brushless car wash" and "pressure car wash" and really didn't find any pertinent posts. Being a HUGE message board guy, I hate it when newbies ask a question that was previously covered multiple times.

Anyway, I am now convinced it was a case of the filter getting liquid on it and causing the temporary airflow problem. Guess I'll have the filter checked at the 5K service. I will certainly follow the recommendations of hitting RECIRC and then OFF before entering the car wash area in the future.

Thanks for all the responses and postulations.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

BobBass — You're right — it may not be that easy to locate the previous threads. Try searching on "odor" or "smells." Anyway, here's the most relevant thread:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...m-found-13538/

Stan

Old 08-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Professional Hacker

This may help... Diagnostic flowchat for the HVAC system