How to STOP regen charging for towing purposes

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default How to STOP regen charging for towing purposes

Hello and thank you for the help. First of all I want to tow my 2012 Camry xle hybrid behind our motor-home. I have seen mixed answers but generally they all say NO to Dolly towing (its an auto) mainly because the regen will still be in use even while the car is turned off. Is that actually true?? We typically camp more that 500 miles from home, so its not a short tow trip. IF SO HOW CAN I make a break in the regen system, like a quick disconnect or switch, so that i can prevent the hybrid batteries from over charging?? Is that even possible?

Old 07-25-2021, 01:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How to STOP regen charging for towing purposes

Download the appropriate manual and consult the section regarding towing:

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resour...als.camry.2012

Using the Jan-May manual, it clearly states that the vehicle should not be towed behind a motorhome with 4 wheels on the ground. They don't say why, but it is because of the damage that will occur to the transmission. It is not associated with regenerative braking but with interaction between MG1, MG2 and the planetary gear system.

Based on my interpretation of the towing recommendations, towing with the front wheels secured to a towing dolly is acceptable. You can confirm for yourself for your particularly production model in the appropriate manual.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast

Pretty cool video but that's got to be one of the most inefficient ways of charging your electric car. The c02 produced is even higher than a traditional fossil fuel car, because all the kinetic energy comes from running the engine of the tow Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin truck plus friction and regen loss.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:09 PM
Enthusiast

If totallly out of juice and towed to return home I comprehend the battery could recover rather quick. I have not attempted this approach to charging. Somebody here that made this technique for charging the battery? While towing a vehicle the towed vehicle will make the majority of the breaking and with an electric vehicle this is done fine while recovering so the towing ought to be somewhat without a hitch and straightforward and Your home completely energized. When purchasing our c-no 300 miles up north close to Stockholm to take to Göteborg I pondered this possibiliry as opposed to searching for fastchatgers way down. However, my better half said "we are not twenty any longer".In reality we are both north of 70. We employed a vehicle trailer all things considered and made it in one day. Safe yet exhausting. You had a great time when youthful and inept.

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

Last edited by Alisad; 01-24-2022 at 07:15 AM.