How Much Is the Key Fob???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC
Default Re: How Much Is the Key Fob???

The figures all fall into the range of about $300, some places more. This is the going price range - for one FOB - copied from another master. This is true of all the keys that have the engine immobilizer chip embedded in the head. 4R, Highlander, Corolla, Camry, Prius, etc, etc.

However.... don't lose the two master keys - or one if all you have is one.

Without another master key chip to copy from the only recourse is to create a whole new set and to take out the original ECU unit in the 'puter replacing all of these, with programming 3 keys is in the neighborhood ( high rent district ) of about......... $2000!!!!!

Old 09-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kdhspyder
The figures all fall into the range of about $300, some places more. This is the going price range - for one FOB - copied from another master. This is true of all the keys that have the engine immobilizer chip embedded in the head. 4R, Highlander, Corolla, Camry, Prius, etc, etc.

However.... don't lose the two master keys - or one if all you have is one.

Without another master key chip to copy from the only recourse is to create a whole new set and to take out the original ECU unit in the 'puter replacing all of these, with programming 3 keys is in the neighborhood ( high rent district ) of about......... $2000!!!!!
Has anyone received 3 FOB keys (w/o additional cost for the 3rd key)? I received two (2) only when I purchased my 2007 TCH.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by agnosto
Has anyone received 3 FOB keys (w/o additional cost for the 3rd key)? I received two (2) only when I purchased my 2007 TCH.
I did but it was a negotiated thing. They didn't just throw it in, I made it a contingency of the sale.
J

Old 09-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had a scary thought when I was driving in the northwest New Mexico area. What if we lost the FOB?.. Crazy but we left the 2nd one home!@
What would one do in the event that a FOB was lost somewhere and unable to be found. I think you would be stuck.. It's not like you could carry a spare 'little slide out keys' from a fob. That would only get you into the car.. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do you a bit of good from that point except keep you out of the rain.
Can someone fill me on this dilemma. What would be one's recourse?

Old 09-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: How Much Is the Key Fob???

Originally Posted by WillyBill
I had a scary thought when I was driving in the northwest New Mexico area. What if we lost the FOB?.. Crazy but we left the 2nd one home!@
What would one do in the event that a FOB was lost somewhere and unable to be found. I think you would be stuck.. It's not like you could carry a spare 'little slide out keys' from a fob. That would only get you into the car.. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do you a bit of good from that point except keep you out of the rain.
Can someone fill me on this dilemma. What would be one's recourse?
Hey *****! Just do like i do leave one FOB in the center council, then everyone can get some use out to the new TCH lol

Old 09-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Oh That's cool.. Seriously.. What if this happened?. Have you other owners considered this.. Is there any way to start the car without the FOB?
P.S. I know of no Toyota dealers even remotely close to where we were traveling.
I'm talking 3 hours away (If you COULD drive there).
I think this is a valid question..

Old 09-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

I don't know about Toyoyta but if it would be General Motors they would use On-Star to let you in.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Bill..valid concern...however...and appologies in advance... how is that different than loosing a metal key to a car, under the same conditions? One would call a locksmith, who would, most lkely, have to replace the ign switch, if he had one....or the car would have be towed, or a duplicate key sent from home..... all major inconviences....

With that said, it is a good question none the less....

Old 09-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon
I don't know about Toyoyta but if it would be General Motors they would use On-Star to let you in.
But they couldn't start the car, could they? And, wouldn't you have to be inside the car to contact On- Star?

Old 09-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

Call on your cell, yes I think they can start the vehical also. It would be my luck to be stuck in he&% without my cell lol

Quick Reply: How Much Is the Key Fob???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands