How to make a smart key smarter

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow How to make a Smart Key smarter

I spent the last two days looking for where I left my Smart Key, and had to use the second key meanwhile. I checked all my clothes, the sofa, and other hiding places. The Smart Key doesn't jingle like my dumb keys do.

Today I found it (whew, how much hundreds of dollars to replace one???), and it occurred to me that these cosstly things should have a paging/beeping device to locate them easier. My cordless phone at home can beep to tell me where I left it, so why not make an even smarter Smart Key?

After all, my key's owner isn't getting any smarter, hehe.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 05-04-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How to make a smart key smarter

That's why I permanently attached it to the belt clip I used to keep my car keys on. This way it stays with cellphone, etc.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:27 AM
tjq
Active Enthusiast

Will put my smart key on key ring, with house key. Need both anyway when leaving home. Have a couple of keys and if dropped will hear jingle to show me where they are. Wife does the same as me.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: How to make a Smart Key smarter

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
I spent the last two days looking for where I left my Smart Key, and had to use the second key meanwhile. I checked all my clothes, the sofa, and other hiding places. The Smart Key doesn't jingle like my dumb keys do.

Today I found it (whew, how much hundreds of dollars to replace one???), and it occurred to me that these cosstly things should have a paging/beeping device to locate them easier. My cordless phone at home can beep to tell me where I left it, so why not make an even smarter Smart Key?

After all, my key's owner isn't getting any smarter, hehe.
Just get one of these and attach it to the smartkey fob.
http://www.keyringer.com/

Old 05-05-2007, 03:41 PM
tjq
Active Enthusiast

Save bucks. Develop habit of keeping track of fob. Been years since misplacing keys.
Watch me lose my keys soon now. Open mouth, insert foot.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:57 PM
tjq
Active Enthusiast

Memory lane on losing keys. Flashbacked to circa mid 1950's. Locked keys in 50 ford. Found a coat hanger wire, bent it, slid through top of open window. Was in process of "breaking into own car", when appproached by 2 local policemen. They were very understanding and waited till I finished my task. Then had to show lic. & registration.

Doing the math to see how old I could be now? Will lie now and say was younger then 10 at breakin thing.

Still think like a kid. Drives wife crazy waiting for me to grow up. "Not going to happen, hon".

Old 05-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Arrow Re: How to make a smart key smarter

Here's the mother of lost key stories for you. It's almost too bizarre to be believed:

In 2000, I had a special edition car that came with distinctively-colored keys. In January 2001, I lost one of my keys. Four months later, since I had not found it, I had a replacement made at the dealer. (Just $20.) In September 2001 (eight-plus months after I lost the key), I went to a friend's office to take her to lunch, about 10 miles from my house in an area of town where I had not been in years. My friend was not ready when I got there, and I had to kill about 45 minutes waiting. So, I decided to run an errand while I waited. I drove out of the parking lot and then realized I didn't know how to get where I wanted to go. I pulled into a large office building to ask directions. There was no one at the building's reception area, so I walked down a hallway past three offices that were unoccupied probably because of the lunch hour. In the fourth office sat an elderly woman behind her desk. While standing across the desk from her, telling her where I was looking to go, I looked down at her desk. Her top-right drawer was cracked open about eight inches, and inside the open drawer was a key that looked like the key I had lost so long ago. I asked about the key immediately, and she told me that someone had brought it to her many months ago, and that she didn't want to get rid of it in because she felt that the owner would eventually come back for it. I pulled out my other key, and it matched perfectly. I was reunited with my lost key by the most unique circumstances that I could have imagined.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
(eight-plus months after I lost the key), I went [..] about 10 miles from my house in an area of town where I had not been in years. [...] I pulled into a large office building to ask directions [...] she told me that someone had brought it to her many months ago, and that she didn't want to get rid of it in because she felt that the owner would eventually come back for it.
Wow! ... Although I don't understand how one can lose something for a "just" a couple of months, yet find it in a part of town which he/she hasn't been in years. Usually "finders" drop items off near the area where they found them, right?

Oh well, I'm getting off track... The "key" (pun intended) take-away on this one is to never give up hope! BTW, installing a beeper in those dang fobs would only make them even bulkier, yuck!

Old 05-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Arrow Re: How to make a smart key smarter

Yes, I cannot imagine how my key ended up where it did. It was odd how it was lost, and odd how it was found.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

Haha, my turn for a lost key story...

I sold my truck earlier this year. I always took care to mind my regular set of key and fob and never did lose that set for more than a few minutes. The spare set I kept in the bedroom dresser for 5 years until I let my sister's fiance borrow it (and the truck) for a day. When I got the spare set back, I set it down somewhere... and promptly forgot about it. Several months later, I listed my truck and realized the second set was missing so I went about frantically searching for it, with no success at all... The guy who bought my truck was pretty understanding but I promised him I'd keep looking for it. Anyway, a week after the sale, I get the truck's title in the mail and as I'm opening the envelope, I dropped the letter opener and it fell to a potted plant by my desk and I heard, "clink!" The opener dropped through string mulch and hit the spare set squarely enough to make the sound. I guess I set it down on the ledge absent-mindedly and it must have just fallen in. Who would think to lift up the mulch on a houseplant to look for a key?

The thing is, the plant's been slowly dying and was not responding to my wife's usual method of dealing with dying plant: to water it three times a day (which, BTW, never worked). So I was getting ready to throw the poor thing out, pot and all, when my wife wasn't looking. Well, good thing I didn't. I fished out the spare set that was, by now, very damp and almost moldy, but still perfectly functional.

Quick Reply: How to make a smart key smarter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands