How to drive my new TCH for the best mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How to drive my new TCH for the best mileage?

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
I really noticed this fact this weekend when I drove my wifes 05 Honda Accord V6 (240hp).

I guess this is where I have an advantage. I never considered anything with less than 275 hp as really being anything but adequate anyway.

Many of the folks buying these are used to sedans with 180 to 220 hp. I wouldn't think you'd find the TCH as "slow" in comparison with these types of cars. I did drive an Expedition a lot before the TCH and they seem similar in performance (now that's a comparison?)
I just want to clarify - my comment wasn't meant to imply that the TCH is slow. I am just commenting on the fact that the accelerator pedal seems less "sensitive" than the one in the Accord. This makes smooth starts in the Honda more difficult when you are used to the lack of sensitivity in the TCH pedal.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:57 PM
WVGasGuy

I am just commenting on the fact that the accelerator pedal seems less "sensitive" than the one in the Accord. This makes smooth starts in the Honda more difficult when you are used to the lack of sensitivity in the TCH pedal

I'm guessing if I still had my 70 Chevelle I would probably have a hard time as well. All I used it for was to listen to the dual exhaust when I goosed it. My wife refused to ride with me. I guess at 12 mpg it was a good thing I never drove it more than 5 miles at a time (of course my rear tires went 6 miles)

I've never really goosed the TCH after the first day. It did it; I know what it will do; so I don't need to again unles safety calls for it. I do find the 4Runner throttle quite a bit stiffer, but like others I now have a hard time driving it agressively and apply what I've come to accept with my TCH as a new driving style (even do this with my company vehicle now as well)

Old 08-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pajasper
For those getting poor in-town mileage, my guess is that the pulse-and-glide technique isn't quite working. There's a big difference between accelerating to 40 mph then backing off into E-mode
There's "in-town" and then there's in-downtown. Downtown Houston driving during rush hour doesn't really allow for pulse-and-glide any more than downtown NYC would. I can only coast or glide so far without running into someone or getting run into from behind. It's bumper-to-bumper with red lights every block, constant stop & go. Yeah, during non-rush-hour it's possible to time the lights so I don't have to stop but not during rush-hour. Ditto for rush hour freeway - it's bumper to bumper stop & go for 15 miles. I feel fortunate to get 35 mpg.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Enthusiast

Nguyep715,
I'm very impressed - and jealous - with you mileage. I have had my Camry Hybrid since October and am averaging about 37 MPG, always drive "sensibly,' never like a Corvette! I coast frequently and usually use cruise control to avoid a lot of small accelerations. I live in the San Francisco area and almost never use the AC. I have tried tire pressure of 32 PSI for a while and then 42 PSI with not too much difference. You mentioned that Petro gas gives better miliage than Sunoco. What octane do you use?
Spencer Gross

Old 01-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast

Hi SpenserHG,

I've had the hybrid since June 06. It has been wonderful, I've already put over 12K Kms. The mileage has increase a bit due to the cold weather here in Toronto Canada. Although, it has been warmer than normal. The outside temperature is between 0 degree celcius and -5.
I am getting an average of 6.5 L/100 Km. I am consitently getting 1100 Km for each tank of gas using regular. My favourite brand is SHELL. PetroCAN is amost as good, I find Esso and Sunoco gave slighly worst mileage.

During last summer, I was averaging between 5.8 to 6 L/100 Km This translate to approximately 48 mpg base on the brochure provided by Toyota canada. Keep in mind summer time in Toronto is just as warm as Sanfrans. However, our road is is quite good and level. I am still keeping the cold tire inflated at 35PSI.

Hope this help. Happy new year.