Highway milage on Camry hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Highway milage on Camry hybrid

75 MPH (Can't go slower or will get slaughtered), with AC (Cause of truck fumes) = 35 MPG

Old 09-20-2006, 09:54 AM
I don't roll on Shabbos

Originally Posted by H2O Doctor
My highway commute is 24 miles. I consistently get >44 mpg using cruise control, traveling at 65 mph with no A/C.

Today I got 50 mpg because their was an accident and I got to use EV for several miles.

I'm not sure what the hit on mileage would be for 70 mph or if I were to use A/C.
Dave, I'm simply astounded by this. I don't live that far from you, probably use the same freeways, and yet I can't seem to surpass 39 MPG...even then, I have to "force" EV mode as much as possible driving on surface streets in the right lane with irate people passing me. It seems that going north on most freeways (e.g. the 405, 5, 110, 605, 710, etc) tax the ICE more because of the slight increase in elevation. The savings usually come from heading back south on those freeways, where I'm able to get the MPG consumption needle to fluctuate between 40 and 60.

BTW, I've used the A/C (ECO setting w/ 1 or 2 bars on the fan) AND driven 70-75 MPH...I haven't noticed a big difference in fuel economy compared to when I'm following the conditions you've laid out (65 MPH w/ no A/C). Even though I know there's a bit of aerodynamic drag on the car, I much prefer to keep the driver's window down for fresh air whenever possible (except, of course, on the freeway or when there's too much traffic around me on surface streets).

I'd like to think I've honed my skills I've learned on these forums to maximize FE. For example:
- Avoiding quick, jackrabbit starts (except to merge onto a freeway and to pass an exceptionally slow driver
- From a dead stop, accelerating at a moderate pace by having the ICE kick on, getting up to about 42-44 MPH, then keeping a feather light touch on the gas pedal to get to EV mode
- Using cruise whenever possible

Practice makes perfect, I suppose.

The bottom line is I'm amazed at what you've been able to accomplish. Kudos to you (and everyone else) for getting such spectacular numbers.

Last edited by lefty1970; 09-20-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lefty1970
Dave, I'm simply astounded by this. I don't live that far from you, probably use the same freeways, and yet I can't seem to surpass 39 MPG...even then, I have to "force" EV mode as much as possible driving on surface streets in the right lane with irate people passing me. It seems that going north on most freeways (e.g. the 405, 5, 110, 605, 710, etc) tax the ICE more because of the slight increase in elevation. The savings usually come from heading back south on those freeways, where I'm able to get the MPG consumption needle to fluctuate between 40 and 60.

BTW, I've used the A/C (ECO setting w/ 1 or 2 bars on the fan) AND driven 70-75 MPH...I haven't noticed a big difference in fuel economy compared to when I'm following the conditions you've laid out (65 MPH w/ no A/C). Even though I know there's a bit of aerodynamic drag on the car, I much prefer to keep the driver's window down for fresh air whenever possible (except, of course, on the freeway or when there's too much traffic around me on surface streets).

I'd like to think I've honed my skills I've learned on these forums to maximize FE. For example:
- Avoiding quick, jackrabbit starts (except to merge onto a freeway and to pass an exceptionally slow driver
- From a dead stop, accelerating at a moderate pace by having the ICE kick on, getting up to about 42-44 MPH, then keeping a feather light touch on the gas pedal to get to EV mode
- Using cruise whenever possible

Practice makes perfect, I suppose.

The bottom line is I'm amazed at what you've been able to accomplish. Kudos to you (and everyone else) for getting such spectacular numbers.
Ken,

I suspect the big difference between our mileage is the amount of driving that you do on streets with lights. I noticed that your highway portion of driving is much less than mine.

I get my best mileage on the freeway. City mileage is very good but less. If you were to take a long trip, I'm sure that you would easily exceed 40 mpg. I find my mileage on a tank drops when the percent of driving locally increases. You will also notice if you look at those whose average mileage exceeds 38 mpg, that for the most part, they drive 60% or greater of the time on freeways not surface streets.

Unquestionably driving technique plays a part in mileage. But how much you drive on the freeway is very significant in the average you get.

I try to keep track of mileage for trips versus around town so I can optimize each.

Last edited by H2O Doctor; 09-20-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just concluded a 5,000 mile trip out west. I noticed that many of the stations had a 'regular' grade with an 85 octane instead of my usual 87. The TCH had no problem with the lower octane, I noticed no difference and my overall mileage for the 5,000 miles ended up at 36.2.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WillyBill
Just concluded a 5,000 mile trip out west. I noticed that many of the stations had a 'regular' grade with an 85 octane instead of my usual 87. The TCH had no problem with the lower octane, I noticed no difference and my overall mileage for the 5,000 miles ended up at 36.2.
Generally you find lower octane at high altitude locations, like Denver. Was this the case and were you using it at high altitudes. Or was it an economy grade at lower altitudes?

Old 09-21-2006, 05:10 AM
WVGasGuy

I get my best mileage on the freeway. City mileage is very good but less. .... You will also notice if you look at those whose average mileage exceeds 38 mpg, that for the most part, they drive 60% or greater of the time on freeways not surface streets.

One thing I have noticed is that my "rural" highway milage is my best. There was no class for this on the database so you have to select city or highway. I don't live near a "real" city but when I do I get about 42 mpg. On the interstate, depending on the terrain I will get between 37 and 42. However driving locally on the 55 mph 2 lane rural roads I can get any where from 38 to 55 mpg. I have one specific route I take several times a weeks to church for about 15 miles that I can always average 43 mpg. Driving around Nags head I was able to get 45 mg for over 300 miles.

My real %'ages are 10% city / 50% rural / 40% highway (4 lane 70 mph roads) and I'm averaging overall 38.95mpg

Old 09-21-2006, 05:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am sure it was higher altitudes where I noticed the lower octanes. Durango, Grand Junction, Farmington, NM, Jackson Hole, Wy., and West Yellowstone for certain.
I never realized that until you mentioned it. Thanks.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:01 AM

I'm not postive, but I believe the lower octane is used to allow the fuel to detonate more easily due to the lower pressures at the higher altitudes.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:19 AM

Tank was ar 300 miles yesterday, with tank avg sitting at 40.4, almost 100% city street miles.

I took a 50 mile highway trip (errand on the other side of town) and when I got back the tank was at 41.7.

More proof at how efficient the TCH is at highway speeds.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Highway milage on Camry hybrid

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Tank was ar 300 miles yesterday, with tank avg sitting at 40.4, almost 100% city street miles.

I took a 50 mile highway trip (errand on the other side of town) and when I got back the tank was at 41.7.

More proof at how efficient the TCH is at highway speeds.
Using your numbers, that calculates to 51.7 mpg for your 50 mile highway trip.

Quick Reply: Highway milage on Camry hybrid

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands