Highway Driving technique

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Dazed and Confused
Default Re: Highway Driving technique

Originally Posted by HybridFan
The novelty of trying to obtain a higher FE everytime is slowly wearing off, I'm quite content with what I'm achieving w/o sacrificing too much and have already learned to be a much better "FE conscious" driver in the process.
For me is is going the other direction. I am commuting from the sugarland area (really HWY 90 and Grand Parkway) to Columbus each day. This gives me about a 1 hour commute to and from work with very light traffic, and I find it relaxing driving slower than those around me. I use this time as my "unwind" and enjoy my alone time. No subcontractors complaining, no superintendents needing XYZ now, no owners complaing we are going too slow. Just my alone time to relax and unwind or prepair for the day. The FE thing is just a bonus. When I was driving the truck, it was so loud, that I just wanted to get to work or get home as fast as I could. Now I don't really care if it takes me 5 minute longer to get home.

As an example:
to drive 60 miles averaging 70 MPH = 52 minutes
to drive 60 miles averaging 65 MPH = 55 minutes
to drive 60 miles averaging 60 MPH = 60 minutes
to drive 60 miles averaging 55 MPH = 65 minutes
to drive 60 miles averaging 50 MPH = 72 minutes

So to go from driving 70 MPH to 60 MPH only adds 16 minutes to my daily commute. On top of that I have noticed that there are many traffic lights that I am cought at that the peopl driving 75 -80 MPH are also caught at. The only thing they gained was more fuel consumption and more aggrivation for having to wait longer at a traffic light. BTW, the dash display usually indicates my average speed for my commute to and from work is about 56 MPH.

Just relax and enjoy life in the slow lane.