Help I am about to loose my smart key privleges

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Help I am about to loose my smart key privleges

I keep my smart key on my keyring with about 6 other keys in my front pocket, and sometimes when I kneel down somehow the panic button gets pushed and sets off the alarm. I have been warned by my lovely wife that if it happens again she will take it away from me . Has anyone come up with a way to disable that button on the smart key? I have to also let you know that she did take away my key fob from our Honda ex coupe because of the same reason, but this car won't work without the smart key unlike the Honda.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Help I am about to loose my smart key privleges

My approach is to keep all my other keys in one pocket and the smart key by itself.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help I am about to loose my smart key privleges

It would be nice to be able to disable the panic some way - like the other programmable options.

I can think of two ways of disabling it:

Take the key apart and remove the panic switch off of the PCB with a soldering iron.

or

Take the key apart and glue the button. That way it cannot be pressed.

There might be a way of cutting a wire on the receiver or something, but I'll have to check the service manual later for that.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Enthusiast

A friend of mine clips his key to a belt loop with a carabiner.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

There is a way to disable it, look in the manual because I believe it is a setting that the dealer can change.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 AM
Dazed and Confused

Just have it on a seperate key ring.

I have mine on a neck lanyard, and wear it around my neck 75% of the time. The only other thing on it is my gym access card. This way when I go to the gym, I only carry the car key, the access card, and I don't need a pocket for it.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This was a big problem with my old car. It always seemed to happen at 5.30 in the morning as I was leaving for work.

I opened the case and using a razor blade, sliced through the PCB trace responsible for the input.

Problem solved. But this really has never happened with my Toyota key.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:38 AM
Enthusiast

I keep my smartkey separate from other keys. Also, every once in a while, I check my keyrings and see if there's something I can remove. You might be surprised on what you may find. One time, I was carrying around a key for a lock that busted 6 months ago, and a key for basement deadbolt that was replaced a year ago. My worst example was a spare car key for my dad's van he sold two cars ago. Aside from those surefire junkers, you may find keys that you may not need to carry around everywhere with you. Do you really need your boat key with you all the time?

Old 07-23-2007, 12:07 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Edan — Yes, it's a dealer-modifiable option. Look at the 7th item on page IN-43 of the attached Customization pages from the Repair Manual (already posted here numerous times).

Stan

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IN-41to44_Customize.pdf (28.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 07-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast

So, in addition to my TCH I also have an older VW Passat with a switchblade key that I kept in my pocket for years. The key fob looks terribly worn. I didn't want that to happen with my TCH key fob, so I made a case for it such that the ring still hangs out, but the buttons are protected. (A Tic Tac case also works but is a little less attractive.)

Stan is right, of course, and gave you a direct answer to your question, but you may not want to incur the expense of the dealer.