Hellish oil change experience at Mossy Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Hellish oil change experience at Mossy Toyota

Originally Posted by SciFi Guy
I've been following this thread for a while, so when my car came up for its first oil change, I asked the service rep what kind of oil was being used. He said all TCHs get a "special, blended" (whatever that means) 5W-20 Synthetic. I read over the service form after picking up the car and it said that 5W-30 had been used. I decided to try driving the car for a while, since the form was printed off of a template, and they might not have made corrections for the TCH. I've got about 200 miles now, and I'm getting the highest mileage I've ever seen in this car, so maybe it really was synthetic oil. I'll have a better idea after I've run a few more tanks through the car.
Are you sure it's not the colder weather allowing you to run w/o AC? This assumes that most TCH owners live in a warm-weather state...

Old 09-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spam2000
Are you sure it's not the colder weather allowing you to run w/o AC? This assumes that most TCH owners live in a warm-weather state...
You might have a point there. It's been much cooler here starting around the time of my oil change.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The dealership I purchased my TCH at had an informational session for new Toyota's tonight. I asked about the type of oil they use in the TCH. He said that it says 0W-20 or 5W-20 right on the oil cap and that's what they use. Liked that answer.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:09 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Does 0W-20 and 5W-20 imply synthetic? Are they both available as a conventional (fossil) formulation?

Old 10-11-2006, 06:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Does 0W-20 and 5W-20 imply synthetic? Are they both available as a conventional (fossil) formulation?
Can't find a 0W-20 unless it's Mobil One

Old 10-11-2006, 06:23 AM

I'm pretty sure that 5W-20 is available in a fossil version.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:29 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Orcrone
I'm pretty sure that 5W-20 is available in a fossil version.
Thanks.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:06 AM

I just had my first 5k service, and the service tech said they use 0W20 blended as the "stock" oil, not full synthetic. It was a $25 upcharge to use Mobil 1 0W20.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just came back from my first service of my TCH at the selling dealer (Towne Toyota in Ledgewood, NJ). I went in at about 1350 miles for an oil and filter change, fluid and filter check/replace and lube.

Pre-warned by this and other threads discussing the proper oil to use, I asked the service writer when I brought the car in "What oil will you be using?" He replied quickly "Whatever Toyota recommends for this car. We never vary from manufacturer's recommendations." I reminded him that this was a hybrid, and he just as quickly said, "No problem. Whatever is recommended for the hybrid is what we put in." Thus assured, I went to the waiting room.

45 minutes later, when I got the bill for service, there was a notation that 5W-30 oil had been used. I raised this issue with the same service writer and he basically just shrugged his shoulders. The first service at this dealership is complimentary, and I assume they just used whatever grade of drum oil they had to save cost. This really pisses me off!

I am calling the dealership GM to complain and to ask for a new oil change specifically with 0W-20 oil. If necessary I will pay for the new oil, but I don't plan to pay for the labor. I would have been happy to pay for special oil if they had only told me in the first place that they were going to use their standard drum oil! ARRRGH....

UPDATE AS OF 11:30 am...

Just got off the phone with the service manager from Towne. He at first said that the notation on my bill was incorrect and that the correct oil had been used. Before I could protest, he further said that, in order to keep me happy and to completely assure that the car had the right oil, he would redo the oil change for free with the oil of my choice (natural, blended or synthetic). I know they have 0W-20 Mobil1 on the shelf in the service department, so that's what I am specifying. Headed there now...and I am impressed with the response from the dealer!!!

Last edited by wcmack; 10-13-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Enthusiast

The only way to be sure what oil's going in is if you do it yourself.

Quick Reply: Hellish oil change experience at Mossy Toyota

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands