Hear fluid slopping around

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default Hear fluid slopping around

Hi all, when I start my 08TCH I can hear some fluid moving around, seems from under the dash somewhere. It also happens from a stop position to moving. Its not all the time, but I notice is a lot. Any ideas what it might be?

Old 06-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Professor Emeritus
Default Re: Hear fluid slopping around

If the car is stationary when you are hearing the noise, it is probably low on coolant. Check under the hood and see if the "engine coolant" reservoir is low and if there is any "pink colored spray" in the accessory drive belt area and on the hood insulation pad. The engine coolant reservoir is on the passengers fender well. You could have a failing water pump and losing coolant as a result.

If the noise happens while the car is in motion and it sounds like water is "sloshing around"... Then your A/C condensation drain is plugged.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by litespeed
If the car is stationary when you are hearing the noise, it is probably low on coolant. Check under the hood and see if the "engine coolant" reservoir is low and if there is any "pink colored spray" in the accessory drive belt area and on the hood insulation pad. The engine coolant reservoir is on the passengers fender well. You could have a failing water pump and losing coolant as a result.

If the noise happens while the car is in motion and it sounds like water is "sloshing around"... Then your A/C condensation drain is plugged.
I'll check as soon as my wife gets home. Our AC doesnt cool very well. I havent noticed any coolant on the ground, but will check the other areas you mentioned. If the AC Condensation drain is plugged, how can that be corrected? Thanks for your help

Old 06-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Professor Emeritus

I am not exactly sure where it is on this particular car. We have not had a problem with ours yet. I always see the water stain on the drive way after the car sits for a while.

There is usually a small rubber hose with a flap that exits the firewall on the passengers side (under the hood and in the engine bay). Its raining out now or I would go out and look. If no one replys, I'll have a look tomorrow and report back.

I usually check to be sure the flap is not "stuck shut" first. If the flap is clear and nothing is coming out, then you can give it a shot of compressed air through the hose. The water should come pouring out after that.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

Just looked under the hood and saw some white residue, looked where the water pump is and looks like pink blob under there. Looks like the water pump is bad? Is that an easy replacement or should I take it into the dealer?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Professor Emeritus

Here is the procedure. Click on the link below. Not too bad if you just take your time.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ater-pump.html

Old 06-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

your pump is gone. very typical. Hope you still under power train warranty. good luck.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 PM

yeah, you should be, but closing fast. it depends on when your car was made, look it up on the driver side door sticker.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:23 PM

oh crud.. you are on 85 000 miles.. no warranty for you..