Grrr!! Someone tried to break into my car yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Grrr!! Someone tried to break into my car yesterday...

While I was at work yesterday, someone decided to try to help themselves to the contents of my car (I guess my sunglasses as that was all that was out in view) or perhaps they wanted the car itself. Fortunately, they either really suck at being a thief or someone/something spooked them because they didn't get in. They shattered my drivers side front window and damaged the plastic at the rear of the window, as well as the door window frame underneath. They also dented the chrome lining that goes around the window. Thank goodness for the tint as that was ALL that held the glass together. You could tell they tried to push it in in the center of the glass but like I said before they were unsuccessful in their attempt. What's worse is that I had been in and out to the car all morning (moving offices), so they had to catch it in between my trips out to the car. I was able to drive it home (I live really close to this office) but decided I didn't want to risk driving it to the dealer. I called my insurance and they had a tow truck pick it up at my house. Anyway, it's at the dealer getting fixed (hopefully have it back tomorrow or Saturday at the latest), but now I am thinking about an aftermarket alarm with some kind of glass-break sensor. My old Toyota Tacoma had one built into the stock alarm. Before I go on a wild goose chase through the forum does anyone know :

1) if this is an option for the factory security system and
2) if not, any recommendations for an aftermarket alarm that plays nice with the smartkey system?

I'm glad it wasn't worse, but I want something better than what came with the car.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG00710-20100623-1302.jpg (99.3 KB, 116 views)
IMG00711-20100623-1309.jpg (112.8 KB, 95 views)
IMG00713-20100623-1400.jpg (128.9 KB, 101 views)
IMG00727-20100623-1518.jpg (108.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 06-25-2010, 04:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Grrr!! Someone tried to break into my car yesterday...

Really sorry to hear that, but I don't believe an alarm system wont prevent someone else from replicating this crime. The glass will still be smashed and then they'll get frustrated and leave, maybe a bit quicker once they hear the alarm.
You could get a motion detector that sounds an alarm as anyone gets near the car, but that'll make you really unpopular with your neighbors, etc.
I don't know the cost of an alarm system, but the cost of a good comprehensive insurance policy might be comparable and a suitable alternative.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Really sorry to hear that, but I don't believe an alarm system wont prevent someone else from replicating this crime. The glass will still be smashed and then they'll get frustrated and leave, maybe a bit quicker once they hear the alarm.
You could get a motion detector that sounds an alarm as anyone gets near the car, but that'll make you really unpopular with your neighbors, etc.
I don't know the cost of an alarm system, but the cost of a good comprehensive insurance policy might be comparable and a suitable alternative.

I hear what you're saying, but I think you may have misunderstood my question...
I have the factory alarm. If they had opened the door it would have triggered it. All I want to do is add a glass-break sensor to it. True they may still break my window, but if the system is triggered that will at least either make them take off or will shorten the time they spend in my car. I've got a good policy already and I keep low deductibles (finally paying off after years of paying my premiums!). I just want an extra layer of protection added to what the car already has. As for the aftermarket system, something with a two-way fob would be nice so I could at least know when something happens then and there rather than a few hours later.

What a pain. But I'm glad nothing was lost (other than a window and a couple of days with my car).

Old 06-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Malcontent

They probably wanted to steal something or anything inside the car. Driving around with a broken window is asking to be pulled over and I doubt they'd put forth the effort to completely remove all the broken glass so it looks like the window is merely rolled down all the way.

A friend of mine put this on all his car windows that were big enough to squeeze through or through which you could reach in and the unlock the door:

http://www.diywindowsecurity.com/

It makes glass a lot harder to break and even harder to get through.

Same friend puts it on his home windows too.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I had the Toyota VIP alarm system installed in my TCH when I bought it, for about $200. Essentially, it adds the glass break sensor to the factory alarm system. I believe it uses the built-in microphone for bluetooth setups. One useful feature of it is that if you hit the glass hard, but not hard enough to break it, it gives a short warning alarm. This could help to discourage thieves before they do any serious damage.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast

You are not alone - Last November my car got broken into - see pics below. Total cost to repair the damage including broken glass using OEM parts was $4,200. The entire steering and airbag assembly had to be replaced as the weight of the falling glass nicked them.

~

Attached Images
IMG_0031.JPG (40.3 KB, 63 views)
IMG_0032.JPG (36.7 KB, 46 views)
IMG_0038.JPG (42.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 06-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Squint
They probably wanted to steal something or anything inside the car. Driving around with a broken window is asking to be pulled over and I doubt they'd put forth the effort to completely remove all the broken glass so it looks like the window is merely rolled down all the way.

A friend of mine put this on all his car windows that were big enough to squeeze through or through which you could reach in and the unlock the door:

http://www.diywindowsecurity.com/

It makes glass a lot harder to break and even harder to get through.

Same friend puts it on his home windows too.

Yesterday (Sunday) I realized what they were after...

I picked up the car on Friday afternoon. Took it to the tint shop to have my window re-tinted. Drove it home and it sat there until yesterday afternoon. I needed to get something out of the trunk, so I went to the car, opened the trunk and when the lid was up I noticed that something was broken off inside the keyhole for the trunk. So now it makes sense. Whoever this was saw me load up the trunk full of a bunch of network and server equipment (remember, I'm moving offices). So my theory is they tried to open the trunk, got a big FAIL there, so they were going to bust my window to try to open it with the latch. Glad they got a huge fail there too. So now I'm not so confused as to why my car. The crappy part is that I had to take it back to the dealer to let them fix this too (more time off from work). At least this time I got a Prius for a rental. And my deductible has already been paid, so no additional out of pocket for me ($250 was bad enough!!).

Attached Images
IMG00738-20100627-1732.jpg (70.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by donvaz
You are not alone - Last November my car got broken into - see pics below. Total cost to repair the damage including broken glass using OEM parts was $4,200. The entire steering and airbag assembly had to be replaced as the weight of the falling glass nicked them.

~

Sorry to hear about yours too. Mine wasn't quit as bad. But the inconvenience is all the same for all of us that have to go through this.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Leave a pair of shiny handcuffs in a stout leather holster laying in the passengers seat. Makes even the dumbest thief think twice.

/used to live in the ghetto/

Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well since Toyota won't allow you to wire the 280-volt battery to the window frame, what you need is a Trunk Monkey!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3L9BQQ4Gs

Quick Reply: Grrr!! Someone tried to break into my car yesterday...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands