"Grabby" brake behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: "Grabby" brake behavior?

Not sure about the grabby brake behavior, but the gurgling behind the dash sounds to me like the Plasmacluster (which ionizes water molecules behind the driver's side air vent).

RoLev

Old 12-01-2006, 05:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spiff72
Since I am bringing my TCH in for service tomorrow to look into the gurgling sound behind the dash, I wanted to ask them about the brakes. I wanted to hear from a couple of you and see if this is common.

I have noticed that when I decelerate to a stop (lets just say from about 50mph), I can slow down smoothly except for the final couple of feet. It feels like the disc brakes are grabbing suddenly, and it makes it feel like a semi-panic stop for those last couple of feet. It borders on embarassing when I have someone in the car riding with me. I can also feel a transition if I am creeping forward with the foot on the brake.

In addition, I have noticed that sometimes it seems difficult to keep the car from creeping forward at a stop light without applying what seems to be excessive pressure to the brake pedal. My foot can actually get tired. At the same time, when I am stationary, with my foot on the brake, I can have the energy monitor showing that the wheels are feeding power to the battery, and if I step on the brake harder (and hear/feel that subtle "thump" transition), the flow of power will stop.

DOES ANYONE ELSE SEE THESE SORTS OF THINGS?

Thanks!
I'm not sure I woudl clasify it as last few feet or basically below a certoan speed and I think the brake behavir varies a little at low speed depending oth whether the ICE is running or not. I notice sometimes the car grabs well and the car stops on dime, and other times it is like the brakes are slipping. And worse the conditkon can change in mid-braking depending (at least what I think) on what the ICE is doing or in the middle of doing. I'm not looking to place blame, but I am realtively sure this behavior was what contributed to me hitting the back of a SUV 2 months ago. Since getting the car back I leave way more braking room and distance between the vehicel in front of me than I have in any car for the last 25 years. I noticed it again the other day, the brake feel suddently felt different as I was braking and I had to lean harder into the brakes.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RoLev
Not sure about the grabby brake behavior, but the gurgling behind the dash sounds to me like the Plasmacluster (which ionizes water molecules behind the driver's side air vent).

RoLev
I assume you are talking about my gurgling sound. It was (as I expected) an incomplete refill of the cooling system after they replaced my radiators (engine and inverter) following my deer collision.