Got a flat

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Got a flat

Originally Posted by hamm3r
I got a flat this past weekend while driving interstate 81 in PA. Took it to Sears and they said that it had a nail through it and the belt broke. They couldn't patch it and had to replace the tire (I have the Michelin Energy tires).

Final cost of replacement after balance, disposal, taxes, etc was $202. What?!?

Does that sound right? At that price, I wouldn't expect a belt to break!

BTW, does I have extended warranty and extended maintenance. Anyone know if there are any provisions to recoup some of the cash for the tire?
The replacement cost (including mounting and balancing) for the Michelin is anywhere from $175 to $200. (I have no idea the replacement costs on the Bridgestones). As with anything retail, shoppers that do their homework will get the best price... although with blowouts, you sometimes don't have a choice. So you paid on the higher side, but I wouldn't say you got "ripped off".

As for any warranty, you are out of luck because you are replacing your factory tire. Your Toyota factory warranty and/or service plan specifically excludes tires, since that is a wear-and-tear item. Now with the replacement tire, you might have been given a pro-rated tread warranty from the shop you purchased from. If that tire blows out, then the store will give you a pro-rated credit based on remaining tread. That just guarantees that you will buy your next set of tires from them. Americas Tire (aka Discount Tire) provides this type of warranty, which is one reason I buy my tires from them.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Freeze
Just curious if your low tire pressure indicator worked? Or was it the hard pull to one side that alerted you to the problem?
I put three nails into my right front tire a couple of weeks ago (my mechanic joked that I must have driven thru the nail factory) and unbelievably, none of them caused a major leak. So I did not notice the car pulling to one side, but my TPMS indicator lit up. When I started checking tires, I found the problem. When the tire was plugged and re-inflated, I did not even have to reset the TMPS system, the indicator went off by itself. So yes, the TMPS system works!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 12:09 PM

Does the camry use the Michelin PAX system?

Old 06-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Dazed and Confused

Even the factory tires should come with a tread wear warranty.

The paperwork should have been included with your owner's documentation you got with the car.

But a road hazard is not included in the tread wear warranty, just a guarantee the tire will last X number of miles if properly inflated and rotated.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Does the camry use the Michelin PAX system?
If that is their run-flat system - no. The Camry has a spare.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

hammr3 and flopshot, thanks for the TMPS feedback. I do find it funny that there's a wee little yellow indicator for low tire pressure, but a big red exclamation point for an oil change. Seems backwards to me.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Freeze
hammr3 and flopshot, thanks for the TMPS feedback. I do find it funny that there's a wee little yellow indicator for low tire pressure, but a big red exclamation point for an oil change. Seems backwards to me.
Amen to that. I noticed my low pressure warning light the other day, and I have no idea how long it was on before I noticed it (but I think I saw it fairly quickly). You would think it would chime like the "maint required warning". I had low pressure in my drivers side rear - I inflated it and it went away. I am waiting to see if it happens again and then I'll bring it to a tire shop.