Getting better mpg than I thought I would

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Getting better mpg than I thought I would

I've had my TCH for 4 days now and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised at the mpg I'm getting. Driving around town I can get high 37-38 with the A/C on, and mid-to-high 40's with it off, sometimes in the 50's. On the highway, I can easily get in the 40's without A/C.

I'm still new at this so I'm sure my "scores" will be even better in the future. I will say that I am being very conscious of the ICE and EV modes and doing my best to keep that ICE off.

On one of the 3 routes I can take to work, I got 46 mpg the very first time I tried it. There's a lot of 30 mph roads and so was in EV mode a lot. I'm going to try to break 50. This is my daily commute we're talking about!

Paul

Last edited by wallpad; 09-20-2006 at 02:21 PM. Reason: corrected spelling typo
Old 09-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Getting better mpg than I thought I would

Good for you

I was around 31MPG but am now around 33MPG avg. My problem is I don't go very far, everything I do is 2 to 4 miles from the house so I stop and go at every light. At times I drive on the Interstate for 5 miles but I drive 80MPH (ish) so that doesn't help.

Good luck with your new toy

Old 09-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm impressed that some of you guys are doing so well with brand new cars. 40mpg+ with an engine and tires that haven't broken in means that we should expect some really amazing things once the fleet starts to get a few miles on the odometer!

Old 09-21-2006, 07:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cohort
Good for you

I was around 31MPG but am now around 33MPG avg. My problem is I don't go very far, everything I do is 2 to 4 miles from the house so I stop and go at every light. At times I drive on the Interstate for 5 miles but I drive 80MPH (ish) so that doesn't help.

Good luck with your new toy
I have a lot of stop and go traffic. I drive 15 minutes to work and I start out on a road were I can kinda maintain 45, but my engine is warming up. By the time it warms up I am in heavy stop and go traffic with hills. I have been averaging 34-36 in the city.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

Well, so much for bragging about my 1st tank. I'm only 250 miles in after 10 days, but averaging 35 mpg. I'm in the hills in Los Angeles, so I gain mpg coming down the hill to work and watch it all go away chugging back up the hill @ night. Per my salesman, the 1st tank average for his TCH customers has been closer to 27, so I feel good about that. (not that I'd be competitive about this sort of thing.)

Old 09-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carwonk
Well, so much for bragging about my 1st tank. I'm only 250 miles in after 10 days, but averaging 35 mpg. I'm in the hills in Los Angeles, so I gain mpg coming down the hill to work and watch it all go away chugging back up the hill @ night. Per my salesman, the 1st tank average for his TCH customers has been closer to 27, so I feel good about that. (not that I'd be competitive about this sort of thing.)
I am in exactly the same boat! I can get some amazing trip mileage leaving my house since pretty much any destination is downhill. But then I do have to return home eventually and the uphill climb brings the average way back down. I'm still only about half way in to my 2nd tank of gas (30 days after picking up the car!) and I'm hoping to do a little better on this tank. But sticking to my regular commute and typical little jaunts and errands run around town, I don't think I'll ever achieve anything close to the high 30's and low 40's that other folks are getting.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:44 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by dalerb
I am in exactly the same boat! I can get some amazing trip mileage leaving my house since pretty much any destination is downhill. But then I do have to return home eventually and the uphill climb brings the average way back down. I'm still only about half way in to my 2nd tank of gas (30 days after picking up the car!) and I'm hoping to do a little better on this tank. But sticking to my regular commute and typical little jaunts and errands run around town, I don't think I'll ever achieve anything close to the high 30's and low 40's that other folks are getting.
But just compare what you are getting now vs what you got on your last car. I went from 22 MPG to 36 MPG and drive the same way I always did. And that brings a smile to my face. I don't really care what hypermilers are doing. I'd go crazy driving like that.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:39 AM
WVGasGuy

But just compare what you are getting now vs what you got on your last car. I went from 22 MPG to 36 MPG and drive the same way I always did. And that brings a smile to my face. I don't really care what hypermilers are doing. I'd go crazy driving like that.

I went from 16.3 mpg to 38.95mpg. I guess my friends think I'm doing crazy things to achieve that, like driving the speed limit, not weaving in and out of traffic, not driving in the left lane and no jack rabbit starts.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TKCamry
Looking at it that way, I'm extremely happy with the mileage I'm getting: I've gone from getting 13 - 14 MPG to 33 - 34 MPG.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast

My wife says that I drive like a grandpa, but I've been able to get 40-42mpg out of every tank since I've purchased the Camry Hybrid back in June.

Quick Reply: Getting better mpg than I thought I would

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands