Gasoline Additives

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Gasoline Additives

I tried using acetone in my '06 Ford Five Hundred. I gained about 1/2 mpg. I figure it's not worth the effort and acetone used over time could damage any plastics used in the gas tank or lines. I also tried it in my '03 Corolla with the same results.

Not long ago I tried adding a full dose of Lucas fuel injector gas treatment to the TCH. I usually use Phillips 66 or Conoco gas. This time I filled with Chevron. I was trying to get a good highway reading for this one trip. Disappointing as I lost 2 mpg and I don't thing using Chevron had anything to do with it.

My theory is these improved top tier gasolines in the last three or so years are already doctored to the limit at the refinery. Any additional gas additives could lower your gas mileage. It's happened to me more than once in the various cars I have owned.

This may also depend on the quality of the engine engineering. My wife has a '99 Ford Ranger pickup. It's been sluggish using the recommended 87 octane gas. She tried various gas additives and none seemed to help. She started buying the mid-octane gas ever other half tank fill. A nice increase in take off power and her gas mileage increased slightly. The Ranger's engine is the early version 3.0, V6. It's listed at 147 hp same as used in the Taurus for many years.

I tried gas additives back when I had my '94 Corolla and none seemed to help. I used Chevron all the time back when I owned that car. I sold it 3 cars ago. Strange coincidence that I parked right in front of it when going to the movies the other day. The lady said it still runs great and has been trouble free. It had 185,000 miles on the clock when I sold it to her. That was still the best steering and best starting car I have ever owned. Could be thats due to the high miles.

I still say people that stay with toyota will gain in the long run. I learned my lesson when I tried the '06 Ford Five Hundred for a year.

Here again as others have listed is the top tier list of acceptable gasolines. Click the link RETAILERS for the complete list.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Last edited by rburt07; 10-02-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gasoline Additives

Since the dawn of the automobile, people have been pouring all sorts of nostrums in their tanks (and crankcases) to achieve more power or better mileage. For the most part they've wasted their money. I'm sure in some cases they've damaged their engines. IMHO nothing works better than name brand gas from a station that pumps a lot (so the gas is fresh with less chance of contamination), and regular oil changes with the factory recommended oil grade.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gasoline Additives

Originally Posted by talmy
Since the dawn of the automobile, people have been pouring all sorts of nostrums in their tanks (and crankcases) to achieve more power or better mileage. For the most part they've wasted their money. I'm sure in some cases they've damaged their engines. IMHO nothing works better than name brand gas from a station that pumps a lot (so the gas is fresh with less chance of contamination), and regular oil changes with the factory recommended oil grade.
AMEN....................

Old 10-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Gasoline Additives

Originally Posted by acco20
AMEN....................
We all have our opinions...I dissagree completly....
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...t=0&Board=UBB5