Fuel Gauge Readings

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:40 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel Gauge Readings

Droid13 — I knew you'd like those!

H2O Doctor — I think that most of the discrepancies you (and others) have found are likely due to consistent under- or over-filling of the fuel tank beyond its 65-liter nominal capacity. (Just how you can tell when you're actually at its nominal capacity is a nice question!)

By the way, I think that Toyota have designed the "cruising range" display so that it aims to reach zero when the fuel gauge reaches E(mpty). This seems eminently sensible to me. Once it reaches zero it won't go positive again, even if your FE rises dramatically during the "reserve" portion of the tank. It also seems to learn your driving habits, so that after a few tanks, its estimate of the remaining cruising range gets better, all else being equal.

Stan

Last edited by SPL; 02-19-2007 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Corrected second sentence.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Fuel Gauge Readings

Originally Posted by SPL
H2O Doctor — I think that most of the discrepancies you (and others) have found are likely due to consistent overfilling of the fuel tank beyond its 65-liter nominal capacity. (Just how you can tell when you're actually at its nominal capacity is a nice question!)

Stan
If I am getting the same number for the half-full point as Toyota, then I should also get the same number for empty if they are accurate. I would agree that the full mark could be off according to how full you fill the car.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:37 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel Gauge Readings

H2O Doctor — My point is this: I think that your conclusion about the amount of fuel remaining when the gauge reads 'E' is based on the volume that you added to fill up your tank, and this carries with it certain attached assumptions as to whether you filled the tank to its nominal capacity, or have actually over- or under-filled it.

Stan