Fog light mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Fog light mod

Was wondering if somebody was able to install fog lights that is being controlled by the DRL switch (in the stalk)
I'm thinking of re-routing the DRL supply to the fog lights instead (I prefer turning on the fog lights than the DRLs)
I really want to fill the void on that black port in front and don't want to add a fog light switch that wasn't built into the dash.
I'm assuming that they don't put the fog lights as an option probably because it will be another electrical load.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Old 09-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fog light mod

I've read that thread, not really the thing I want to do. I just wanted the fog lights to switch on when the DRL switch is set to off in the stalk (power goes to fog light instead of DRL, making sure both DRL and fog lights are not on at the same time)

The mod they did was tapping the low beam source with the fog lights, so both fog lights and headlights are on. Not sure if this could cause issues with electrical load or void the warranty (it could be)

Well this is just a thought, it will make TCH look pretty with fog lights though..

Old 09-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fog light mod

Find the DRL circuit's voltage dropping resistor and install a 12 volt relay in series with it. Use the NO, Normally Open, relay contacts to power the fog lights.

But this approach has a somewhat serious shortcoming. Your highbeams were selected for DRL use because of their distance visibility light pattern. You can overcome that problem by selecting driving lights instead of the low and wide beam pattern of fog light lens/reflector assemblies.

This is the method I used on my '01 F/awd RX300 except for DRLs I used 2 high power LEDs with collimated lense mounted inside the factory headlight assembly.

Last edited by wwest; 09-22-2011 at 09:08 AM.