Finally I got one!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Re: Finally I got one!!!!

Mine didn't zero out. I didn't put gas in until it came on. I put in about 13.5 gallons. So Had I driven the entire tank I would have made it over 600 miles.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Originally Posted by g.theory
welcome to being fabulous in green! Now you have to name your car
Well I didn't name, my 2 3/4yr old son did. He calls it Doc (the mayor from the movie Cars). I don't know why he thinks it looks like Doc but he does. I actually love that movie because of watching so much with him, plus the kid in me! So it's got a name.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by coolshock1
Mine didn't zero out. I didn't put gas in until it came on. I put in about 13.5 gallons. So Had I driven the entire tank I would have made it over 600 miles.
Neither does mine. I routinely go over between 630-650 miles with 10 miles showing on the remaining range. I will probably go 700 eventually some time in the summer, but I am not pushing for the "700 Mile Club". I will just take it when and if it comes.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I could have been mistaken, but I thought I saw it get to to 0 range once (I usually don't let the gas get too low)...or it could be that I have an 08? Not sure.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Driving in stealth mode

I don't think I am going to go below 1/8 of a tank. Not that I don't trust it but just so I don't have to fill up during the week. The first tank I put in I made it Sunday to Sunday, so Sunday sounds like fill up day for me. Then again I might just try it out, especially in the summer.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:53 AM

Other than bragging rights, I see no advantage in running a tank low.
I've read in these forums (not sure, I am not an expert) that the either the fuel pump has to work harder when fuel is low...or the fuel cools the pump and low fuel causes the pump to run hotter, potentially leading to a failure.
Then there's always the embarassing running out of gas and the, oh so much fun, walk to the nearest gas station.
But hey, different strokes for different folks!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
I could have been mistaken, but I thought I saw it get to to 0 range once (I usually don't let the gas get too low)...or it could be that I have an 08? Not sure.
The low fuel light comes on at 1/8 of a tank - when there is roughly 3 gallons left.

When the gas gauge reads E there is about 2 and 1/2 gallons left (the range drops to 0 miles around E as well). I once went 80 miles past E and did not run out. While I don't recommend driving past E, it is nice to know you can go a good 50 miles or more if you had to.

Edit: haroldo is right, the fuel cools the fuel pump. Running too low could possibly damage the fuel pump. It is worth noting that the Toyota fuel pumps appear to be rather robust. Green Hybrid member bwilson4web has run his Prius tank dry quite a number of times while performing experiments on different brands of gas, etc., and has yet to report any ill effects from doing so.

Last edited by nash; 03-19-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Originally Posted by nash
The low fuel light comes on at 1/8 of a tank - when there is roughly 3 gallons left.

When the gas gauge reads E there is about 2 and 1/2 gallons left (the range drops to 0 miles around E as well). I once went 80 miles past E and did not run out. While I don't recommend driving past E, it is nice to know you can go a good 50 miles or more if you had to.
Yes it is good to know the limitations.

When I had my Bonneville I used to always say I go out Sunday evening and get gas, then I end up falling asleep on my son's bedroom floor. The next morning I would then end up running late for work but knew I could make it because I knew how far i could go when I was on E or close to it.

I must say I love this site because there is a lot of great information on here.