Excessive wind whistling through closed windows?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:32 AM
Roy
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Excessive wind whistling through closed windows?

Originally Posted by KimikoPi
At what speed do you all start noticing the unusual wind noise coming through the window or door? I drive fast on the freeways, but I have heard it even at 40-60 mph. The thing is...I don't remember it being so loud when I first got my car. I live in the desert so do you think the heat is making something expand and cause a less tight seal?
I have had the noise since day one. I get the noise at about 45 on up. It sure seems to come from the door edge area, sort of behind the drivers seat. I'd play with it but the car is still at the dealer for the voice recognition issue.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roy
I have had the noise since day one. I get the noise at about 45 on up. It sure seems to come from the door edge area, sort of behind the drivers seat.
Try driving fast enough to create the noise. Have someone else in the car to use a small towel or wash rag. Place it over the door edges at various places to see where the wind sound changes or disappears. I found a slight air leak in a '94 corolla that same way. I fixed it by adding a thin strip of sticky back sponge rubber under the cars door seal to lift it up slightly. That solved the problem.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:51 PM

Try placing a dollar bill between the door frame and the door. Close the door and see if the dollar bill pulls out easily. Work your way around the door frame. If you find an area that the dollar bill slips out easily, you have found where the door is misaligned.

Checking my TCH I find a dollar bill is snuggly gripped all around the door frame.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by misbe
Also, people without the noise problem listen to the radio at about 20-21 on the highway and I have to set it at 27-28.
While I think I hear more outside noise & wind in my 2007 TCH compared to my 1997 Camry.. I still only have to listen to the radio/CD player at about 10-15 or so. I have the non-nav system if that makes any difference.

It is true that I can't really hear the engine at all so maybe it's just a matter of the noises being different for me.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by ToyotaGoblin
It is true that I can't really hear the engine at all so maybe it's just a matter of the noises being different for me.
Any buzzing noise would cover up the engine noise. The TCH uses a rather low rpm engine helped by a variable cam. I pressed the accelerator when climbing a hill today and the engine revved to 3500. (reading with the scan gauge) Driving on a level highway it drops to about 1450 rpm and sometimes down to 1250. It was only audible at 3000 to 3500. It sounded more like the exhaust rather than engine noise. My engine is still not broke-in at 1050 miles. That may also be why it's so quiet.

Your car may be in warranty and the dealer should fix that buzzing noise.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-19-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
Try placing a dollar bill between the door frame and the door. Close the door and see if the dollar bill pulls out easily. Work your way around the door frame. If you find an area that the dollar bill slips out easily, you have found where the door is misaligned.
Could be as simple as replacing the door seal.

Scott

Old 08-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Dealer found no problem

My local Toyota dealer looked at my car today. He said the foreman did the dollar bill test, took it on the freeway at 40+ mph with a device that's supposed to detect leaks (he called it a stethescope actually...like the thing that doctors use). So he said no leaks were detected and no air was getting in on the driver side. Now I feel crazy. He said that as long as there's a good seal, it shouldn't matter if the seal is stronger on the passenger side rather than driver side.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:35 PM
joe540ci

Has anyone pinpointed the wind noise to the door or the window? If you have let me know so i can find mine a little faster...

Old 08-27-2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by JOE540CI
Has anyone pinpointed the wind noise to the door or the window? If you have let me know so i can find mine a little faster...
I had a '94 Corolla that had a door seal leak. My wife got the idea of taking along a small cloth hand towel. Driving at 60 we could hear the wind noise. She placed the wadded up towel at various places around the doors edge. She found it and moved the towel in either direction to see the location even better.

The next day I bought a roll of thin flat foam that had a sticky glue on back with a pull paper over it. I lifted the side of the seal and placed a few inches of this foam to use as shim under under the seal. A test drive proved that fixed it, no more wind noise.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-27-2007 at 10:31 PM.