Engine Braking or B Shift - Do you use? When?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Engine Braking or B Shift - Do you use? When?

Do you use the engine braking (B shift)? If so, when do you engage it? What is the proper way to use it? At what speeds (if applicable)?

Old 10-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Engine Braking or B Shift - Do you use? When?

Usually when decending a steep grade, or when I want to slow my TCH without displaying my brake lights. ie: Going over the speed limit when I see a police car...

Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Braking or B Shift - Do you use? When?

I used my B gear ONCE and that was this past Friday when descending from a 2320 foot observation area in Phoenix back down to the ground. I gained almost 2 MPG on the way down, while losing only about 1.5 MPG on the way up....COOL !!!

LOL Jim....

Jim, you do know that the "if you don't hit your brakes they can't lock your speed" thing is just an old myth, right? They can see your speed on the advanced radar and lock it without you braking....

Now if you are just braking with the B to avoid them seeing your brake lights, then that's another story altogether......

Old 10-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Can it be engaged at any speeds? Is it harmful in any way on the engine/brakes if it's engaged when travelling too fast? Do you have it on B until you come to a complete stop (at the bottom of the hill) or can you disengage it at any point in the decline?

Old 10-30-2006, 01:57 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by leepark
Can it be engaged at any speeds? Is it harmful in any way on the engine/brakes if it's engaged when travelling too fast? Do you have it on B until you come to a complete stop (at the bottom of the hill) or can you disengage it at any point in the decline?
Think of the shifter as a computer joystick, there is no direct mechanical link to the brakes or engine. The computer will choose an appropriate action to do if you select "B" at whatever speed you are travelling.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:48 AM
07 Camry Hybrid!

I use B in city driving. It would be nice to be able to coast all the way down to a stop all the time, but that's just not acceptable in city driving. So, I'll kick in B when I need to decelerate to match speed with the car in front of me. Just a flick in and out works most of the time. I'll brake if there's traffic close behind me so they see the lights.

I've also used B when diving into a corner and I want the ICE turning. Apex the turn and accelerate out. Use the brakes to moderate your speed going into the turn too, but with the higher revs out of the ICE, it's a kick when you jump on the gas. And, no I don't do this all the time.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Most of these type of questions have already been asked, and you can easily search for the threads.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...engine+braking

Old 10-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just finished reading the past posts...

one last question, is a proper way to engage and disengage B? Can you shift into B while cruising without pressing on the brakes? Do you have to press the brakes before disengaging it?

Old 10-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was reading this article posted on a different thread:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/tech/envi...s2/system.html

It looks like the system preferentially uses regenerative braking over hydraulic brakes when braking. Not sure what happens when using the "B" setting though. I would think since battery regeneration is a priority (with control/safety systems being top priority), it would use the motor generator mated with the ICE to maximize battery regeneration.

Anyone know for sure?

Old 10-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leepark
Just finished reading the past posts...

one last question, is a proper way to engage and disengage B? Can you shift into B while cruising without pressing on the brakes? Do you have to press the brakes before disengaging it?
Yes you can, but as stated before( the computer controls when it is just rite to engauge). the shifter (as per my shop manual) is cable operated down to the divider where it fastenes to the shift lever position sensor which has a direct input to the computer and divider. The brake pedel has no mechanical linage to the brakes at alll just electrical.

Quick Reply: Engine Braking or B Shift - Do you use? When?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands