Effect of A/C on FE

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Effect of A/C on FE

I've been trying to determine how much of a hit you get with A/C. Part of my problem is my impatience. When I see the FE dropping, I tend to turn the A/C off. I always use ECO to minimize the hit and I only use it on the highway. Most of the time I don't even think about using it because it doesn't get that hot here. However, today, the temperature was really up there, 90F so I turned the A/C on. I quickly so a decrease in the tank average. It dropped 1 mpg and was still decreasing when I turned it off and opened the windows. By that time, the temperature had decreased to 86F outside.

My best guess is it drops mileage by 2 mpg.

I'm wondering what others have measured.

In case you're wondering, I like it hot and 85F doesn't bother me. Warmer than that and I plan to use A/C.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Effect of A/C on FE

In my experience, opening the windows will cause a bigger hit than using using the A/C, at least at highway speeds.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:18 AM

I see a 2 to 3 mpg hit with the A/C running in ECO mode. Check out this thread: ECO A/C Mode impact on MPG

Old 08-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

When it's hot, use the A/C - that is why you have it. I guess I don't worry about the 1-2 MPG hit, I'd rather keep myself and my family comfortable.

Scott

Old 08-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

I thought that the A/C was electric, not powered by the ICE. If it is electric, why is there a drop in FE? I can understand if on short trips, if the SOC drops to purple, the ICE will run to charge the battery, but on the interstate, the ICE runs in conjunction with the battery powering the wheels while regen brakeing should charge the battery. So why a drop in FE?

Last edited by nyceshirtz; 08-15-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

Nyce: Think about it. Energy has to come from some place to run the AC, even if is electric, and the only place is from the ICE which burns gasoline, thus lower FE.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by nyceshirtz
I thought that the A/C was electric, not powered by the ICE. If it is electric, why is there a drop in FE? I can understand if on short trips, if the SOC drops to purple, the ICE will run to charge the battery, but on the interstate, the ICE runs in conjunction with the battery powering the wheels while regen brakeing should charge the battery. So why a drop in FE?
Because ultimately, all of the energy the car uses comes from gas. When driving on the highway with the ICE running, some of the energy will be powering the wheels, and some recharging the battery. With the A/C on, there is a bigger draw on the battery, requiring more energy from the ICE to keep the battery at the same level.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Newbie and lovin' it!

Idrove from central Illinois to central Mississippi. A total trip of 522 miles at 75 mph with the a/c on. 100+ outside temp. I averaged 42.6 mpg (measured) for the trip......if the a/c makes a hit, it is so minimal I don't care about it.......does that make me unworthy of being a hybrid owner?

Old 08-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Nope, just makes you a non-sweaty hybrid owner.

Scott

Old 08-15-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by wxman3
......if the a/c makes a hit, it is so minimal I don't care about it.......
Likewise, which goes back to my earlier point that opening the windows is worse than using the A/C.

Quick Reply: Effect of A/C on FE

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands