The easy way to get pulse and glide, even at high speed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The easy way to get pulse and glide, even at high speed?

Originally Posted by gaijin42
I have a lot of trouble getting the glide, but I found a cheat mode. If you put the car in neutral, you go into no bars mode, regardless of the speed. This may be a way to get P&G at higher speeds.

Thoughts? Is this bad?
ABSOLUTLY POSITIVELY BAD!
It is illegal
and UNSAFE to run the road in Neutral. You have NO connection to the road. 'Glide' is NOT Neutral. There may be no power going to the wheels, but you only need to push down on the accelerator, which your foot is already delicately balanced over with slight pressure, if you need power to avoid a sudden hazard. Glide is probably safer than using the CC with respect to reaction time. When you are using CC, your foot may not even be over the accelerator. Throw it it neutral and you have added to the reaction time. Your panic reaction will be to stomp on the accelerator and ZIPPO, nothing. Then
, too late, you remember you are in Neutral.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
I don't find the drag on this car to be very high. I'm guessing the distance you can glide in "N" is not much further than what you get in "D"
I would disagree. If the deceleration in D, foot off the accelerator, were roughly the same as being in 'N' people wouldn't be messing with 'glide' at all. It is pretty easy to test. Flat road, coming up to a red light. Take your foot off the accelerator and judge your deceleration. Then press slightly to get into glide and you can feel the 'drag' let up and deceleration is noticably less. At least in a Prius; I don't know why a Camry Hybrid would be different.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:57 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by bruceha_2000
I would disagree. If the deceleration in D, foot off the accelerator, were roughly the same as being in 'N' people wouldn't be messing with 'glide' at all. It is pretty easy to test. Flat road, coming up to a red light. Take your foot off the accelerator and judge your deceleration. Then press slightly to get into glide and you can feel the 'drag' let up and deceleration is noticably less. At least in a Prius; I don't know why a Camry Hybrid would be different.
IMO, the drag (coasting regen) on a TCH is really next to nothing. Comparing it to my conventional Sienna, the TCH will coast signifantly farther. Also, it's really hard to simply release the regen by touching the gas pedal ala Prius it seems, because the battery will usually kick in even with the lightest touch. I think the glide concept will remain primarily a Prius trick.