DRLs Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: DRLs Stopped Working

I found the headlight Auto setting works best for me. Anytime I get out of the car I flip it Off then back to Auto. That turns the lights off immediately once the engine is off. This way If I get in the car at dusk or at night the lights come on automatically.

My guess it the headlamps would time out in the Auto setting once the engine was off. I really don't need the light delay.

I can usually see my DRLs when pulling up to a convenience store. I look for the lights reflecting in the glass windows.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Toyota & Mazda Enthusiast

Electrick: Thanks for that info about the ECU parameters on my DRLs! The dealer changed the instrument lights setting (auto-dim off) way back in September. The DRLs were functioning OK after that... as I remember... until last week.

Yes... the HL combi-stalk switch is always turned to "AUTO." I rarely touch it except on foggy days.

Wait... I do remember "bumping" a parked car while parallel parking last week. I mean it was only a minor bump in the front that did no visual damage [I got a strong polycarbonate front plate cover]; I strongly doubt that could have dislodged a wiring harness.... Or??

Old 01-28-2008, 11:30 AM

Are you sure there isn't a DRL fuse?? I could have sworn I saw one in the main fuse block in the engine compartment. Maybe it was a DRL relay? I'd check that out. If it is a the relay then have someone cycle between DRL off and on and see if there is any action in the relay. (If we can see or hear the action -- may be solid state.)

Old 01-28-2008, 12:56 PM
SPL

According to the "Overall Electrical Wiring Diagram," the DRL "relay" is actually a solid-state, FET-type switch (and not an electro-mechanical relay). In DRL mode, it switches the high-beams on and off at a high rate; since they are "on" for much less than 100% of the time, this achieves the reduced brightness required for DRL purposes. In normal high-beam mode, the FET switch is "on" all the time, and full brightness is obtained. There is a 15-A fuse in series with each high-beam bulb, and no other relevant fuses. They are labelled H-LP (LH) and H-LP (RH).

The first thing I would ascertain is whether your high-beams work normally. If so, the two fuses and the FET switch are fine. The problem would then have to be in the FET driving circuitry — the so-called "Light Control Circuit." If the high-beams don't work normally, the problem could be both fuses (unlikely), the FET, or the driving circuitry.

Stan

Old 01-28-2008, 03:21 PM

Stan (SPL)... Thanks. Yeah, there is no "DRL" labeled fuse at both boxes listed in the manual. [The dash fuse box is a pure joy to access!] Since the DRLs are part of the hi-beams, they are part of that protected circuit.

Ok... both hi-beams check out fine and operate normally -- indicator on dash is fine and both bulbs visually check out full on. The low and high beams switch on/off fine -- pass that test....

So... probably a fault in the "light control circuit"? Would a minor bumper smack or short from water cause a circuit fault? I won't touch anything... looks like dealer time.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:19 PM
SPL

martinmzfan — Given your findings, I think that Electrick's suggestion is likely the answer: that the DRL function customization option on page LI-12 of the Repair Manual (attached) was inadvertently changed to "off" permanently by the dealer. It seems most likely to me to be a software rather than a hardware issue. Let us know the outcome. [Interestingly, this lighting customization option isn't listed in the so-called complete customization option list that I (and others) have posted here before — see the attached pages IN-41to44 from the Repair Manual.]

Stan

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IN-41to44_Customize.pdf (28.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-16-2008, 07:38 PM

Thanks to everyone for their input! You guys rock! I finally found time to make it over to the dealer. Yes, indeed it turned out that the Hybrid Tech "inadvertently" programmed off the DRLs in a vain effort to disable the auto-dimming instrument lights feature. DRLs are back on AUTO and can be switched off manually at the stalk -- there was no failure anywhere;

Now if I can only get the dealer to see the flickering auto-dimming dash lights, I'd be in better shape. Ever go under an overpass on the freeway and watch your dashlights suddenly dim? [The dim control **** is set just under the full-bright click.] Well, that's my issue that led to this other issue caused by the tech. I'm thinking it's probably a bad light sensor on the dash. Back to the dealer.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by martinmzfan
Thanks to everyone for their input! You guys rock! I finally found time to make it over to the dealer. Yes, indeed it turned out that the Hybrid Tech "inadvertently" programmed off the DRLs in a vain effort to disable the auto-dimming instrument lights feature. DRLs are back on AUTO and can be switched off manually at the stalk -- there was no failure anywhere;

Now if I can only get the dealer to see the flickering auto-dimming dash lights, I'd be in better shape. Ever go under an overpass on the freeway and watch your dashlights suddenly dim? [The dim control **** is set just under the full-bright click.] Well, that's my issue that led to this other issue caused by the tech. I'm thinking it's probably a bad light sensor on the dash. Back to the dealer.
Your dashlights are dimming because your headlights are turning on automatically when you go through an underpass.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Ding ding ding we have a winner. That's exactly it.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by martinmzfan

I get flickering lights around the radio. I can only see it at night and it is not due to an under/overpass. I have not bothered to report it yet because you have to see it at night and it is random.

You're situation is different and answered in the two posts above this one.

Quick Reply: DRLs Stopped Working

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands