Driving to Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Driving to Mexico?

Not liking the winters in Toronto we have just bought a place In Mexico. We planned to drive down for 3 months next winter. The following is Toyota's response the my request re servicing in Mexico. We are in Mexico right now and plan to make some local inquiries before we decide what to do, Does anyone have any experience re bringing a TCH to Mexico??

"Toyota Canada Inc. does not recommend bringing a vehicle not designed for the Mexican market into Mexico. We do not know whether the technicians at the Toyota dealerships in Mexico are equipped to perform work on your Canadian specification 2007 Camry Hybrid, as Toyota Canada Inc. and Toyota Motor Sales de Mexico are separate business entities. Furthermore, please consider that parts and basic maintenance items for your vehicle may not be available from the local sources.

With regard to warranty, Toyota's New Vehicle Warranty is honoured in continental USA and Canada only."

Old 03-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Driving to Mexico?

How much are you driving? Will the car really need serviced during the 3 months? Can you do the Oil Change before you leave? Are you going to be close to the US so that you can pop back over the border if needed??

Old 03-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scooters
How much are you driving? Will the car really need serviced during the 3 months? Can you do the Oil Change before you leave? Are you going to be close to the US so that you can pop back over the border if needed??

Not a lot of driving, probably not more than 5,000 km, I am just concerned what my options would be if something went wrong. If all else failed I might have to get it towed to the US border about 1,200 km from where I will staying near Guadalajara!

Old 03-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paulgw
Not liking the winters in Toronto we have just bought a place In Mexico. We planned to drive down for 3 months next winter. The following is Toyota's response the my request re servicing in Mexico. We are in Mexico right now and plan to make some local inquiries before we decide what to do, Does anyone have any experience re bringing a TCH to Mexico??

"Toyota Canada Inc. does not recommend bringing a vehicle not designed for the Mexican market into Mexico. We do not know whether the technicians at the Toyota dealerships in Mexico are equipped to perform work on your Canadian specification 2007 Camry Hybrid, as Toyota Canada Inc. and Toyota Motor Sales de Mexico are separate business entities. Furthermore, please consider that parts and basic maintenance items for your vehicle may not be available from the local sources.

With regard to warranty, Toyota's New Vehicle Warranty is honoured in continental USA and Canada only."

Sounds to me that Toyota has given you a reason not to bring your TCH down to Mexico. No warranty and probably no parts if you get into trouble. If you make the mistake of parking that TCH overnight on the street, you might find it's been "exported" to Belize the next mornibg.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You didn't mention where in Mexico you will be. I own a timeshare in Cabo, Mexico and travel there every year. I can tell you that you wouldn't want to bring your US/Canada spec TCH down to Cabo. They can barely keep a basic rental car functioning, let alone a hi-tech car like the TCH.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Dazed and Confused

I would not bring it down there for fear it would end up in Columbia or some othe Central American Country.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I would not bring it down there for fear it would end up in Columbia or some othe Central American Country.

Are all the negative comments based on personal experience or just media propaganda? Here in Ajijic on Lake Chapala, which 40 minutes south of Guardalajara we are in a gated community and there are many US and Canadian citizens with cars they drive down from up north and I haven't heard of anyone that has any bad experiences. I agree however they may not be able to service a hybrid; still checking.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here, you want something that's fact and not propaganda. I work for a manufacturer that owns facilities in Mexico and China. There's a reason China is taking their jobs besides just cheap labor, they are also more technically advanced. if you had an old VW beetle, then by all means then them service it, but don't let them touch your Camry. Have it serviced in the US or drive a different car. GM has manufacturing facilities in Mexico if that gives you any hint. If it doesn't then live on blissfully unaware.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

sorry for being cynical. They honestly try but they just do not have the technical background and Toyota just told you that in a nice round-about way. Besides, I think you're nuts for driveing there in the first place. Last I saw last summer the lanes and stop signs seemed to be optional. Not to mention the road conditions itself.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Driving to Mexico?

I lived in Mexico for years, and would NEVER take a car of mine there. Your car will end up looking like a shredded beef sandwich in no time. Don't be surprised if the gas ruins your catalytic converter. And God help you if you need service. The public transportation in MX is excellent and cheap. Wait until you find out how expensive the toll roads are for private cars, and you'll wish you had the comfort of an inexpensive bus or plane. Oh, and did I mention that in many places you'll encounter robbers who block public roads to stick a gun to your head? (By the way, I love Mexico.)

Quick Reply: Driving to Mexico?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands