drive-by-wire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 06:38 PM
it's just a car...
Default drive-by-wire?

A few years ago, one of GM's concepts was pitched for its 'drive-by-wire' technology. They even had CBS's Dan Rather drive it on TV, explaining there was no mechanical link to the accelerator! All GMs were supposed to be this way in "the future".....so, the future is here and I wonder, is there a direct mechanical link from the TCH accelerator to the ICE or does the "go pedal" just connect to the computer?

Old 07-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: drive-by-wire?

Try putting your TCH in park, and then give it some gas, I think you will get your answer.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I will jump in here...

Mine doesn't rev in this case

On the other hand, my previous vehicle (2002 Chevy Trailblazer) acted strangely when you stepped on the gas while in neutral or park. It would only rev up to about 3000 rpm. I don't know - maybe this had drive by wire too?

Old 07-19-2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gator56
Try putting your TCH in park, and then give it some gas, I think you will get your answer.
Last week a friend of mine asked if you could rev the engine in Park or Neutral, so we gave it a try. It's stange to floor it and have nothing happen.

Definitely drive by wire. Couldn't be mechanical since there are times you give it "gas" while driving and the engine is off.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:20 PM
HSD Organic Interface

My Sienna has a drive by wire gas pedal too. It will rev the engine in park. However, even in a conventional vehicle it does make it feel different. The power band is much mellower lower down and when accelerating quickly extra power comes up almost like a flick of a (computer) switch. Definitely not the same feeling when your foot is linked directly to the air intake system.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orcrone
Last week a friend of mine asked if you could rev the engine in Park or Neutral, so we gave it a try. It's stange to floor it and have nothing happen.
Wow, no "revving" in neutral either? I was expecting it to do something in neutral...

Old 07-20-2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by hybrid_dsl
Wow, no "revving" in neutral either? I was expecting it to do something in neutral...
Actually I'm not sure of the gear we were in. I think it was Park and not neutral, but I'm not sure. Oh well, something else to check out this afternoon.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:28 AM

I only tried in Park. Haven't tried Neutral - I will give it a shot later!

Old 07-20-2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by spiff72
I will jump in here...

Mine doesn't rev in this case

On the other hand, my previous vehicle (2002 Chevy Trailblazer) acted strangely when you stepped on the gas while in neutral or park. It would only rev up to about 3000 rpm. I don't know - maybe this had drive by wire too?
It's a self preservation mode... you never want to rev your engine unloaded. On some cars the red line is even reduced until the engine warms up.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:11 PM

Keep in mind, that the lack of ability to rev in neatral doesn't mean your car isn't drive by wire.

Reving in neutral is not something you want to do in any car. You should only rev while the car is under load (transmission engaged). Lot's of cars today, prevent reving in neatral. Not all drive by wire systems prevent this though...

Quick Reply: drive-by-wire?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands