Does the gas tank indicator ever turn red?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 11:45 AM
tjq
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does the gas tank indicator ever turn red?

Never had a car that could go that fast in a quarter mile. Never tried either.

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
Yep it's an idea but it's mostly bragging rights. Just like sports car owners brag about 0-60 or ¼ mile, we brag about mpg and distance per tank.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:41 AM
Dazed and Confused
Default Re: Does the gas tank indicator ever turn red?

Originally Posted by haroldo
Maybe I am missing something, but what benefit is there in trying to see how little gas one can drive with. I won't be getting my hybrid until next week, but I can't imagine keeping the tank as low as possible.
When you have to fill up every 3 days, one less trip to the gas station is nice.

I am not sure, but I think nothing good can come out of guessing wrong and running out of gas (except being able to brag about driving around without any gas), but something bad can come from not having gas.
I could be wrong, but if you are driving around and for some reason the battery system has a problem, the gas in your tank can be the difference between a ten mile drive or a ten mile walk to get home.
If your battery system has a problem, you will be walking regardles of how much fuel you have in the tank. The synergy drive relies on the electric motors to allow the engine to transfer power to the ground. Without batteries, you will not be going anywhere.

I know gas is expensive, but if you fill up today or fill up next week, the cost is not that much different.
I was taught to try and never let the tank get below 1/8 fill, a lesson I've taught my children.
What am I missing here?
Are people concerned about the weight of the gas in the tank hurting their MPG?

And when you can save a few pennies without a problem it is nice.

I subscribe to the 100 miles past 0 DTE.

Just look at the numebr of tanks I have compared to faldoc (I saved 6 trips to the pumps) or extrapolating data, when I hit 51,000 miles, I will have saved 16 trips to the pump compared to jhfarr73)

So 6 trips at 15 minutes = and extra hour and a half I saved, or 16 trips at 15 minutes = 4 hours I saved.

Now if there is bad weather in the forcast, I will try to run off the top half.