Does the A/C work while in electric mode?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default Does the A/C work while in electric mode?

The Mercury Mariner and Ford Escape Hybrid's A/C will not work at slow speed. You have to place the A/C in max mode to have A/C while at slow speeds. This setting makes the engine run all the time. Does anyone know how the A/C setup is in the Camry Hybrid?

Old 05-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does the A/C work while in electric mode?

Originally Posted by bg1811
Does anyone know how the A/C setup is in the Camry Hybrid?
2007 Camry Hybrid Features
http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt...ryHybrid_f.pdf
"Dual zone climate control air conditioner with air filter (electric)"

It looks the A/C is driven by HV battery same as Prius.

Ken@Japan

Old 05-09-2006, 09:37 AM

The A/C is driven by the motor or by the engine depending on demand, just like the 2006 HCH. There's also an ECON button that restricts the A/C to electric motor only, although of course it's not as powerful as when driven by the engine.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:27 AM
HSD Organic Interface

My only experience was testing driving the TCH on a hot day with the A/C running (had no idea about the Economy Mode, so assume it was off) . Upon power up, the engine started after about 4 or 5 seconds just sitting there (being a test drive, spent more time than usual just looking around the dash). Out driving around, the gas engine normally was running while cruising with pressure on the gas pedal. Releasing the gas pedal to coast and the engine would stop after 2 or 3 seconds, and remained stopped while at red lights. As soon as gas pedal was pressed when light changed green the engine immediately started. I wish I would have thought to try it with the A/C off, but I ordered one anyway, just now have to wait for it...

Old 06-03-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Droid13
Upon power up, the engine started after about 4 or 5 seconds just sitting there (being a test drive, spent more time than usual just looking around the dash).
That's normal and not related to A/C. If the engine is cold, the car tends to start the engine immediately when shifting into Drive, and occasionally even before.

Out driving around, the gas engine normally was running while cruising with pressure on the gas pedal. Releasing the gas pedal to coast and the engine would stop after 2 or 3 seconds, and remained stopped while at red lights. As soon as gas pedal was pressed when light changed green the engine immediately started.
Sounds like the engine and/or catalytic converter were not fully warmed up. It's near-impossible using EV mode until the car has been on the road for a while.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bg1811
The Mercury Mariner and Ford Escape Hybrid's A/C will not work at slow speed. You have to place the A/C in max mode to have A/C while at slow speeds. This setting makes the engine run all the time. Does anyone know how the A/C setup is in the Camry Hybrid?
I don't know all that fancy stuff like the other posters do. Simple answer - yes, the A/C works for me all the time, no matter what. I live in Houston. We can't live without A/C. The A/C in my 2-week old TCH runs (and runs well) all the time, no matter whether on ECO or not, whether running on battery or gas engine. Believe me, I would notice very quickly if it stopped for even a minute. It's only been in the low 90's here so far, so I've had it set to 75 degrees with the Auto button engaged and the ECO button engaged.

I'll be honest and say I don't completely understand the function of the ECO button, just that it uses either less gas or less battery. I'll have go to back and re-read what the previous poster explained...

Old 06-04-2006, 09:25 PM

The TCH A/C compressor is not belt (ICE) driven. It is soley electric, and if true to the orange color coded system, is driven by the HV battery. Interestingly, it is mounted in the same place as traditional belt driven compressors. I suspect that's so it's close to the radiator.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:40 PM

It may be solely electric, but it could still require the engine to run to recharge the batteries if it ends up demanding too much power.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
It may be solely electric, but it could still require the engine to run to recharge the batteries if it ends up demanding too much power.
That's true of the entire HSD system, more so running in Golf Cart Mode.

There are big advantages of running an A/C compressor electrically, the biggest being a consistant compressor speed. Belt driven compressors run slow at idle and fast at cruising speed which greatly compromises their effeciency and life. By chosing an electric comressor, you eleviate that problem. Most cars don't use electric because of the huge power demand: the car would probably die at an idle if the alternator could keep up, but it's a logical choice for a hybrid since its power system is designed to move a car, which will take much more gusto than an A/C compressor.