Loss of heat while in EV mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Loss of heat while in EV mode

My 2005 has been behaving strangely this winter.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that even when very cold, the car will go into EV and will stay there for what seems like an abnormally long time for the temperature. I recently noticed that when running the heat, it will stay in EV until the heat is blowing ice cold. I have forced a restart by putting it in Defrost and there is instant heat so I don't think the engine is cooling off in that time but rather no heat getting to the heat exchanger.

Sometime last week I was in a drivethrough line and was waiting a long time. Car didn't restart except when I put on the defroster and then would shut right back off when I put it back on the dash vents.

If I put the information center on the Electric Energy Available screen it has never read anything but NORMAL.

I have had this car for eight years this month and have driven probably 90% of the 84k miles on it and this is definitely different than how it has behaved in the past winters.

Any thoughts? Temperature sensor? One of the pumps?

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Loss of heat while in EV mode

Originally Posted by nitramjr
My 2005 has been behaving strangely this winter.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that even when very cold, the car will go into EV and will stay there for what seems like an abnormally long time for the temperature. I recently noticed that when running the heat, it will stay in EV until the heat is blowing ice cold. I have forced a restart by putting it in Defrost and there is instant heat so I don't think the engine is cooling off in that time but rather no heat getting to the heat exchanger.

Sometime last week I was in a drivethrough line and was waiting a long time. Car didn't restart except when I put on the defroster and then would shut right back off when I put it back on the dash vents.

If I put the information center on the Electric Energy Available screen it has never read anything but NORMAL.

I have had this car for eight years this month and have driven probably 90% of the 84k miles on it and this is definitely different than how it has behaved in the past winters.

Any thoughts? Temperature sensor? One of the pumps?

Thanks for the help.
There is a separate electric pump that is supposed to run when you are in EV mode to circulate engine coolant for cabin heat. I think it's called the cabin heater pump. It sounds like either the pump or something in it's control curcuit isn't working right.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Loss of heat while in EV mode

Thanks Rich. I appreciate the response.

I found the part online for $275 so it looks like it is headed to Ford since I have $100 deductible on the warranty.

I drove my '06 for the first time in a while today and tested the heater when in EV and the heat blasts HOT all the time. The gas engine kicks in well before the air blows even slightly cool. Confirms what I thought at least.

Thanks again.