Do you find the TCH brakes a bit soft and unpredictable

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do you find the TCH brakes a bit soft and unpredictable

Originally Posted by elsifer
Pardon my ignorance - what is "glide" - is that some NAV thing?
Wendy, Prius drivers found that they get their best mileage doing something called "pulse and glide". If you do a search you'll find much info on it. In this method you accelerate reasonably quickly to about 40 - 42 mph (pulse) and then let off the throttle to allow the ICE to shut down. You then feather the accelerator so that there's no energy transfer showing on the MFD, or the NAV display if so equipped (glide). If you give it too little throttle you'll see regen (energy transfer from wheels to battery) and if you give it too much you'll see the motors driving the wheels (energy transfer from battery to wheels). You stay in this glide until your speed drops to about 30 mph and repeat the process. This allows the ICE to be used for a very short while to propel the car while glide allows for going the furthest with the ICE off without reducing your SOC.

Some people on this board (XCEL I believe) had a run that was covered in magazines of over 100 mpg with a Prius over a full tank of gas. I tried it in the TCH for brief periods. It gets very high mileage, but it's not fun.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have sooooo much experience with Toyotas including Camrys and the 2007 TCH is the BEST one including its sleek braking system very responsive...

Old 11-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I find the TCH brakes to be very responsive, not too grabby, not too spongy, and the only indication of the varaiation between regen and pads is the volume of the high pitch regen whine. It's such a cool 'Jetson's' sound.

Now, when the car is in reverse, I find the brakes to be very grabby. In fact, once, I thought I bumped into a car in a parking lot. I got out to see what happenened, but I didn't bump into anything.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by Freeze
I find the TCH brakes to be very responsive, not too grabby, not too spongy, and the only indication of the varaiation between regen and pads is the volume of the high pitch regen whine. It's such a cool 'Jetson's' sound.

Now, when the car is in reverse, I find the brakes to be very grabby. In fact, once, I thought I bumped into a car in a parking lot. I got out to see what happenened, but I didn't bump into anything.
Or as my wife puts it, "The death star whine."

WA-WA-Wa-Wa-wa-wa

Old 11-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast

Brakes are supurb!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It took a few days to get used the the brakes on the TCH after driving an F150 for 20 years

Let's just say I stopped quickly until I got used to the TCH. I don't find the TCH brakes soft, rather the F150 brakes required a bit of enthusiasm when used or you might not stop in time.

I do want to add the ABS works great. I had a dog dart out in front of me while doing about 45, and slammed on the brakes. It sounded like all 4 tires barked, and I stopped fast, very fast. I was amazed I didn't hit the dog

Old 11-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Toyota & Mazda Enthusiast

My TCH brakes are very "grabby" compared to other cars. They are very quick to respond but lock up way too easily in panic stops -- even with ABS. You just have to "teach" yourself to tap the pedal and modulate slower than in other cars. My 2 cents.