DIY oil change and tire rotation with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default DIY oil change and tire rotation with pics.

Just finished doing the oil change and tire rotation. I used Mobil 1 0w20 full synthetic and toyota oil filter. Cost me $33 total. Contrary to what others say about the oil filter it is really the most accessible filter I've ever dealt with. It has more space and not messy compared to other cars I've worked on before.

a summary:
1. set the car in park and put parking brake on.
2. jack both front and rear of the car and put jackstands for easy tire rotation, you could jack the front only if tire rotation is not needed.
3. remove oil filler cap (top of engine under hood)
4. make sure car is secure in jackstands and remove the oil drain plug using #14 wrench, of course don't forget the oil pan otherwise you'll be flooding the garage floor with oil.
5. let it drain and do the tire rotation (front to rear, rear to front)
6. remove the oil filter, use the tool to loosen and remove by hand. Wait for it to drain.
7. clean the oil filter area before installing and tighten by hand, tighten to 1/4 rotation more using SST and wrench (in my opinion hand tighten is enough)
8. install drain plug with new gasket.
9. pour 4 qts oil (use a funnel), check with dipstick if it's in the middle of MIN and MAX (don't overfill or near MAX) pour a little more if necessary to reach mid level.
10. check for leaks.
11. lower vehicle (remove jackstands)
12. tighten lug nuts to 76 ft/lbs
13. turn on ignition for 30 secs, check disptick if level is OK, check for leaks.
14. turn off MAINT REQD alert
a. turn on car, reset TRIP A to 0 via reset button near speedo. turn off car
b. press and hold reset button then turn on car, a maintenance reset indicator shows up.
15. do a test drive and check for disptick level and leaks.
16. think about what will you spend with that $50+ you saved.

The pictures are in my facebook page since it's easy to upload pics from my iphone.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Toyota...627800?sk=wall

Last edited by lincolnshibuya; 07-24-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Professor Emeritus
Default Re: DIY oil change and tire rotation with pics.

I agree. I read on several forums that people have had a problem doing oil changes on the TCH? It is one of the easiest oil changes I have ever done. I also like the layout of the jacking points in the middle of the car on both ends. Makes using a floor jack a cinch. Come to think of it... Changing the PSD oil is a breeze too.

So far all the maintenance has been a breeze on this car.

I do have to say that I do not like the design of the Valve Cover "plastic cover". I remove it before I put new oil in the engine. It is too difficult to clean around the cap after you remove it without getting junk in the engine. Then if you spill one drop of oil, it goes under the plastic cover and saturates the insulation with oil. Removing it only adds 1 minute to an oil change.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just wondering, but where did you get the five quart jug of Mobil? As far as I know, all the shops around here only sell the individual quarts.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

They are available only in Walmart for $25. It's cheaper than buying individual quarts ($6.50). I used to buy my oil in Advance Auto/AutoZone but they can't beat Walmart.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

I changed my oil today with M1 0W-20 and M1 filter.

Thanks for the tips.

Also, there is no need for "a. turn on car, reset TRIP A to 0 via reset button near speedo. turn off car"

As I only did "b." and that worked just fine (as per manual)

Thanks for the motivation!

-Mike

Last edited by jetttstream; 08-24-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

My local Toyota does a synthetic oil change for around $40, and my tire dealer does lifetime rotations for free. So I can't justify all the time of doing it myself. But thanks for the information.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

That's true, but sometimes the tire guys put the lug nuts on too tight and the dealer overfills the oil level. Plus I like to know what's going into my car. I don't hate mobil 1 but for the price it's tough to beat.

-Mike

Old 09-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LEAKYTCH
My local Toyota does a synthetic oil change for around $40, and my tire dealer does lifetime rotations for free. So I can't justify all the time of doing it myself. But thanks for the information.

It's called "bonding". People used to bond with their horses, by grooming and feeding them. Now some bond with their vehicles, by taking good care of them personally. They do pay those owners back well.
$40 synth oil change? Mine costs $70 DIY premium fluids and filter. And I, also, know what's going on underneath.

Ironically, I remembered Louis Farrakhan's expression. He said " when we all lived together with our parents and grand parents, food was different. Your mother and grandmother cooked for family. You knew what was in that food, and it was prepared with love. Now you do not know who touched your food, what is in it, and if it's not slowly poisoning you".

it's allegory.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Enthusiast

Well I know people must have figured out by now. But i recently went to toyota and bought 12 quarts of oil, + 2 filters for my toyota hybrid all for a little under $40.00. the dealer guy gave me a deal when i bought all 12 quarts. It was 5w20.
So a question now is would you guys recommend me to switch to 0w20 or stick with 5w20?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

1. you always get what you paid for.
2. 5w20 does not automatically make it a best oil for your car. Best oil costs around $10 a qrt.
3. Personally, I switched to recommended 0W20, and my mpg dropped significantly over 2 weeks. I switched back to 5W20. I use Amsoil and M1 or K&N oil filters EXCLUSIVELY.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change and tire rotation with pics.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands