disable tc

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Malcontent
Default Re: disable tc

I've never had any trouble here in CO with snow tires. I do carry a snow shovel just in case. Also, for digging people out of avalanches (it's an avalanche shovel for skiing).

Old 10-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BOFH
Pardon my ignorance, but this will be my 1st winter in 15+ years without a 4x4 as our primary vehicle...
Would it work to gently press on the brake to hold the spinning tire to let the one with traction turn?
Hmm.. I'm really not sure if that would help or not. I hope I don't have the opportunity to find out this winter, but if so I will definitely give it a try.

Last edited by rmorrow; 10-23-2008 at 06:04 AM. Reason: inserted quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by BOFH
Pardon my ignorance, but this will be my 1st winter in 15+ years without a 4x4 as our primary vehicle...

Would it work to gently press on the brake to hold the spinning tire to let the one with traction turn?
The TC control procedure is to first apply braking at the wheel or wheels presumed to be slipping and then if the condition persists the "engine" is dethrottled.

Since FWD and F/AWD vehicles are so much more prone to loss of directional control in this circumstance the dethrottling will be much quicker, and prolonged/persistent in those vs RWD or R/AWD.

"Would it work to gently press on the brake to hold the spinning tire to let the one with traction turn?"

If we were discussing RWD or R/AWD this would be, Mostly, how TC would work. But were TC to be allowed to differentially brake a front wheel could be desasterous, enough torque stear to yank the stearing wheel from the driver's grip.

The result being that TC does exactly as you suggest, lightly brake both front wheels even if only one is slipping.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by rmorrow
So, the traction control/stability control generally have been a big plus to me, as they make it really easy to navigate on otherwise difficult surfaces. However I have had one incident occur last winter where I sorely wished I could turn it off. I got one wheel stuck in deep snow, and could not for the life of me drive it out. I had to enlsit about four people to push, and there was no way to get the car to help. The wheels simply refused to spin, regardless of how lightly or heavily I stepped on the accelerator. So, I will chime in with those that wish that it could be turned off in the exceptional circumstances where that would be useful.
As a temporary measure you could always pull the ABS pumpmotor fuse. But keep it TEMPORARY.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
The TC control procedure is to first apply braking at the wheel or wheels presumed to be slipping and then if the condition persists the "engine" is dethrottled.

Since FWD and F/AWD vehicles are so much more prone to loss of directional control in this circumstance the dethrottling will be much quicker, and prolonged/persistent in those vs RWD or R/AWD.

"Would it work to gently press on the brake to hold the spinning tire to let the one with traction turn?"

If we were discussing RWD or R/AWD this would be, Mostly, how TC would work. But were TC to be allowed to differentially brake a front wheel could be disastrous, enough torque steer to yank the steering wheel from the driver's grip.

The result being that TC does exactly as you suggest, lightly brake both front wheels even if only one is slipping.
I agree with your statements above, but I was asking the question in response to someone being stationary on an ice patch and not being able to get moving at all. Still not advisable? could it mess up the computers? valid thing to try?

As I said, my only TC in the past has been 'switch it into 4 high and go', so I need to learn about my options to keep moving this coming winter

Old 10-24-2008, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
As a temporary measure you could always pull the ABS pumpmotor fuse. But keep it TEMPORARY.
No question about that! I think the stability control / ABS is a huge safety feature. I'm talking about only the circumstances where turning it off is the only way to get you unstuck. I'll have to locate that fuse now, so I don't have to hunt if/when I need it. Thanks.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 AM

Most cars will disable all of the ABS pumpmotor "features", excepting ABS itself, if there is a CEL. You can "force" that by disconnecting the MAF/IAT while the engine idles. The engine will quit, reconnect the MAF/IAT and restart the engine and drive away. You now have a CEL and no TC, etc. The CEL will automatically clear, re-enbling the extra "features", within a few drive cycles.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:40 AM

That's a lot of TLAs for my poor brain to digest. MAF/IAT? CEL?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 AM

There are several hills in my town where the top of the hill there is a light. Without snow tires I cannot make it up the hill without turnning OFF my TC (called DSC on the Mini). With it on, eventually I lose all forward momentum because the tc kicks in and stops my spinning tires. With it OFF, the tires spin ever so slightly but I get some traction and I'm able to climb the hill.

With snow tires on, I have enough traction that TC can remain on without any worries of my forward progress being stopped.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 AM

MAF....Mass Air-flow sensor.
IAT....Intake Air temperture.

Both of the above mounted in the engine intake ductwork downstream of the air intake filter.

CEL.... Check Engine Light.

Quick Reply: disable tc

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands