Dings in Deck Lid

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Dings in Deck Lid

I have 3 really small, almost imperceptible dings in my deck lid. I think I can gently press them out from underneath, but I need to remove the inside fabric liner underneath the deck lid. It has some sort of plastic fasteners. Does anybody know how you remove/reattach those fasteners? Is there any trick to it or do you need any special tool?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dings in Deck Lid

Originally Posted by LEAKYTCH
I have 3 really small, almost imperceptible dings in my deck lid. I think I can gently press them out from underneath, but I need to remove the inside fabric liner underneath the deck lid. It has some sort of plastic fasteners. Does anybody know how you remove/reattach those fasteners? Is there any trick to it or do you need any special tool?
What is the deck lid?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
What is the deck lid?
NASCAR term for the top of the trunk.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Leaky,

Driving my daughter's Civic today but I'm fairly certain that the center "button" pulls out to remove the fastener. If not, the center section pushs in. I've had mine out but don't remember which way I had to go.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:31 PM
0__o

If that fails, pull the liner and bust them off:

Item: Trunk lid, Interior trim, Trunk lid trim, Clip, Us built
Price: $1.03 each at http://www.toyotapartscheap.com

Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by LEAKYTCH
I need to remove the inside fabric liner underneath the deck lid. It has some sort of plastic fasteners. Does anybody know how you remove/reattach those fasteners? Is there any trick to it or do you need any special tool?
The outer ring has prongs that are expanded by a finger that is attached to the middle piece. To remove, just pull on the middle piece using fingernails or very thin tools like table knives. It doesn't take much force, so I do it with fingernails.

Be careful to keep track of them all. They can be reused, and they cost more than it seems like they should.

To put them back in, pull the middle piece out about 3/8 inch, until the prongs on the outer sleeve will fit through the hole again. Pushing the middle in expands the prongs to hold it in.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
The outer ring has prongs that are expanded by a finger that is attached to the middle piece. To remove, just pull on the middle piece using fingernails or very thin tools like table knives. It doesn't take much force, so I do it with fingernails.

Be careful to keep track of them all. They can be reused, and they cost more than it seems like they should.

To put them back in, pull the middle piece out about 3/8 inch, until the prongs on the outer sleeve will fit through the hole again. Pushing the middle in expands the prongs to hold it in.
Check a local autoparts store like "Advance Auto Parts" or "AutoZone". I purchased a tool from one of these stores(for about $5 or $6) to remove the plastic fasteners without damaging them. I used this tool several times on another car with similar fasteners on the trunk lid. It worked fine.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billc918
Check a local autoparts store like "Advance Auto Parts" or "AutoZone". I purchased a tool from one of these stores(for about $5 or $6) to remove the plastic fasteners without damaging them. I used this tool several times on another car with similar fasteners on the trunk lid. It worked fine.