In Depth Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default In Depth Review

I have posted an in depth review of my TCH on my blog. I thought it might be of interest to the readers here to compare notes with, as well, as anyone who is considering a purchase. Most of the reivews out there are pretty superficial, or focus on just a certain feature or problem, and I have trie dto make mine in depth and encompassing.

Jason Coyne's In Depth Toyota Camry Hybrid Review

Old 07-06-2006, 04:02 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: In Depth Review

Originally Posted by gaijin42
I have posted an in depth review of my TCH on my blog. I thought it might be of interest to the readers here to compare notes with, as well, as anyone who is considering a purchase. Most of the reivews out there are pretty superficial, or focus on just a certain feature or problem, and I have trie dto make mine in depth and encompassing.

Jason Coyne's In Depth Toyota Camry Hybrid Review
Good review. I enjoyed reading it. But I have 2 corrections to your review. The CD player (With the NAV system) can only hold 4 CDs and not 6 as stated. And the special little key buried in the key fob will work in three spots. There is an opening in the drivers door handle for the key just to the right of the black push button. There is a key hole in the trunk lid about 12 to 18 inches to the right of the big Toyota logo. And there is a key hole on the glove box in front of the right passenger seat so that the glove box can be locked.

And the following is not a correction to the review, but just a suggestion on carrying cargo if it is only you and 1 passenger. You can fold the rear seats down and use that as storage space without worrying about piling cargo on the rear cloth or leather seats. That adds a lot of carrying capacity you lose to a smaller trunk.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Nicely done! Thanks for taking the time to write this up--it should be very helpful to those on the fence!

FWIW, the non-NAV voice dialing works well. Names must be at least 2 syllables, and I think I can store only 20. Dialing digits by voice works great!

I'm still not sure about the sound system, though I find myself wondering if it is the Panasonic head unit in the non-NAV that's worse than the DENSO in the nav version? Just a guess, but will have to get more feedback. After 7 years in a Passat, with mid/bass near the bottom-front edge and tweeters on the top front edge of ALL 4 DOORS, I'm not used to rear-deck/front-deck speakers any more. Maybe I just need some time. I'm SURE not lettin' anybody do any mods yet--too new!

Old 07-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Great Review!!!

I'm a bit confused on one issue. You say that there are only 2 builds. My TCH should be here in a week or two. It is ordered with sunroof and leather, but not Nav. Isn't there a third "middle" build for that setup??

Thanks again! I learned a lot from your review!!

Old 07-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

Enjoyed the review...inthe text you stated the climate control is part of the voice activated....I have tried to get this to work on my 07 Magestic Grey....the quick reference guide states that it can be used, but at this time I am unable to get it to react....any ideas...Pitchafit

Old 07-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Mine has just the sunroof and mirror package---no leather or nav.

So there are a few different options out there. I saw one stat where something like 45% delivered are base, 31% are fully loaded with leather, nav and sunroof, and the remaining are hybrid hybrids (pun intended) like mine...

Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scooters
Great Review!!!

I'm a bit confused on one issue. You say that there are only 2 builds. My TCH should be here in a week or two. It is ordered with sunroof and leather, but not Nav. Isn't there a third "middle" build for that setup??

Thanks again! I learned a lot from your review!!
From what I understand, there are 3 "models", at least that's what my dealer told me were getting shipped to them:
- base model, no sunroof, leather, nor NAV
- middle of the road (which I chose), comes with sunroof, leather, but no NAV
- top of the line, has everything, sunroof, leather, NAV

I think all come with bluetooth.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Right, but clearly that's not correct, since I have a car sitting in my driveway that isn't one of those three!

Old 07-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TCH Newby
From what I understand, there are 3 "models", at least that's what my dealer told me were getting shipped to them:
- base model, no sunroof, leather, nor NAV
- middle of the road (which I chose), comes with sunroof, leather, but no NAV
- top of the line, has everything, sunroof, leather, NAV

I think all come with bluetooth.
I think Toyota likes to give different option "packages"/groups to different geographies. In my area (Northern California), all the dealers I've talked to have the base model and the top of the line. I've never seen a middle of the road around here.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

There definitely are three options. This should be at least close to being correct:

- base model: no sunroof, leather, nor NAV, nor heated mirrors/seats, nor premium stereo
- middle of the road: comes with sunroof and heated mirrors
- top of the line: has everything, sunroof, leather, NAV, heated mirrors/seats, premium stereo