Dealer console fix possibly broke something else

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Dealer console fix possibly broke something else

When I took my car in for its 10k service I had the dealership fix my squeaky console. Squeak is gone but the letters on the shifter don't light up anymore. I called the dealer and inquired about it, their service guy told me that they don't have any Led's in there and that they don't light up.

Can anyone confirm weather or not the letters on the shift plate are illuminated or not?

Am I imagining things?

Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Malcontent
Default Re: Dealer console fix possibly broke something else

They don't have LEDs in there but they have a small incandescent bulb. Maybe the bulb broke or was covered up or they removed the clear plastic piece altogether (that fixes the squeak and is what I did for my car). I haven't paid attention to whether removing the clear plastic piece has unilluminated the letters but I do have a relatively powerful LED bulb in there now and it may be able to illuminate the letters without the clear plastic piece.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes, evidently the vibration of moving the bulb around may have blew it out.

Mine lights up but not that bright and is actually off center. I don't see why they even have a light there. My guess is that you can see where to move the lever for which transmission function.

The real shift indicator is in the speedometer housing.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

hey thanks guys. I really dont require the letters lit up. I was just confirming that they actually did. I prefer non squeak over illuminated letters tenfold. That squeak was driving me nuts. My main concern is that the dealer either had no idea what I was talking about or he was lying. He was the one that mentioned LED's btw. I just mentioned the letters were lit up previously, and now they are not.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:43 PM

There was some form talk of toyota possibly going to a led under the shift lettering in the console. Some said they felt the heat there sometimes got pretty warm during the summer. I have felt that area on mine a few times and its a little warm but that would be normal with a small bulb.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Malcontent

When I replaced all the interior bulbs with LEDs, I was surprised how hot they were and how quickly they got that hot.

I seem to remember that the shifter bulb had to cool off for awhile before I could even remove it.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:27 PM

You would think a LED company like you included once would make a LED update kit for a popular car like the Camry. Complete with instructions like your pictures included for us to show just how to install them.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

There actually only is one bulb in there for the entire shifter. It's near the rear of the letters, and you might notice (if it were working) it's really hot in that area.

I'm guessing they forgot to hook it up again when the did the dash console fix. You could pop it off and have a look.

Later!

Dang

Old 11-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast

The dealer always do something with your car what they not suppose to do, just few days ago the work on my console squeak, few days later I realize they did not connect my seat heater buttons, had to remove console and sure it was not plugged in. As far as little green LED is there and its working when you turn on the headlights, it is not on the top part it is actually attached to the shifter base, they may be broken off or unplugged it. I think its looks mice when its lid. Thanks, Tim