CVT trans fluid change-What kind of CVT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default CVT trans fluid change-What kind of CVT?

What kind of CVT transmission does the TCH have? Is it a steel belt? Are there drain and fill plugs and what fluid is necessary and where can we get it? Is there a filter to change? I have not seen any fluid, etc., at Autozone, Advanced, etc. I

Thinking about changing the fluid around 30,000 miles and have no info on it.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CVT trans fluid change-What kind of CVT?

You should think of your eCVT as more of a center diff'l or maybe a F/AWD PTO, Power take-off, no clutches, bands, nor belts used for "frictional" drive. The "ATF" formulation in your eCVT may be unique beyond the current knowledge of ANY aftermarket ATF supplier.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Pragmatist

This has been discussed in a previou thread:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...nge-tch-16715/

In particular, haroldo found the tranny oil spec on page 373 of the owners manual:
TRANSAXLE
Fluid capacity (drain and refill), L (qt.,Imp. qt.):3.8 (4.0, 3.3)
Fluid type: Toyota Genuine ATF Type WS Change the transmission fluid only as necessary. Generally, it is necessary to change transmission fluid only if your vehicle is driven under one of the Special Operating Conditions listed in your “Scheduled Maintenance Guide” or “Owner’s Manual Supplement”. When changing the transmission fluid, use only “Toyota Genuine ATF Type WS” (ATF JWS3324 or NWS9638) to aid in assuring optimum transaxle performance.
Notice: Using transmission fluid other than “Toyota Genuine ATF Type WS” may cause deterioration in shift quality, locking up of your transmission accompanied by vibration, and ultimately damage the transmission of your vehicle. Please contact your Toyota dealer for further details.
The page number may have changed in the newer model-years. The oil spec may even have changed. You should consult the owners manual for your particular model and year.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Engineering Professor

The "CVT" in your TCH is NOT a belt-variable ratio transmission. It is the same eCVT that is in the Prius. The eCVT is a set of planetary gears coupled with a motor-generator that allows the ICE to see a variable torque ratio via spinning the M-G at controlled rates. There is no clutch or reverse gear either. The traction motor-generator can power the car backwards while the ICE runs forward to generate any need electrical power. This system is used in all the Toyota hybrids, the Ford Escape hybrid (and its two twins from Mercury and Mazda) as well as in the Nissan Altima Hybrid.

I do an ATF drain and refill every 60,000 in my Prius (twice now), but a first change at 30,000 may be wise (to remove some sealant contaminants that are there from production). It uses Toyota Type WS ATF (about a gallon) and yes there are drain/refill plugs but no filter. Directions for the job are at several Prius discussion groups, but will differ in detail for your TCH. I let the dealer do mine for less than $100 (the ATF fluid costs about $20).

JeffD

Old 11-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

Go to this website to understand how different the TCH cvt is and how it works

Old 11-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks Al, great info!