Cruising Range

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Electricity Guzzler
Default Cruising Range

Was wondering about other owner's experience with the Cruising Range. On my first tank. I was pushing it a bit and didn't want to pull off the highway for gas. I kept the cruising range screen on and got more nervous as we were approaching our final destination. We went from Ottawa, Ontario to Hamilton. (Started out with only 1/2 tank remaining). Anyway... the km left till empty were clicking away. 14, 13, 12, Me getting more and more nervous. My wife wasn't concerned. Right after 12, it flashed down to 0 km left on the cruising range, right before my eyes! Boy I was surprised. I probably drove another 5 km before I found a gas station.

So... I got a total of 820 km from my first tank. I filled up the tank till it clicked off. It took 55 litres of gas. This was my first tank. (not sure if the dealer filled it up proper or if the comp. left me with extra gas, not calculated in the cruising range. btw. the computer said I got 6.9 litres of fuel / 100 km for that tank. Very curious to here other's experience My gas low warning light went on when my cruising range was about 45 km remaining.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:56 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Cruising Range

Hmm, thats odd. The specs say the tank is 65L (70L on the non-hybrid). Maybe the readout is overly cautious and leaves plenty of reserve. You could have made a side trip to Niagara Falls and back to Hamilton!

Old 06-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Electricity Guzzler

I agree. When I filled up at the pump, my reaction was, "I must still have another 10 litres of fuel in the tank".

I'm not overly eager to test that theory though. Further tanks should get me closer to the truth. My fuel gauge def. was on E though, it didn't look like any fuel was remaining according to the gauge.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:56 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Almost all car makers set up the gauge to under-estimate how much gas is left in the tank. Sometimes as much as 2 or 3 gals, but usually 1 or 2. They do this based on their estimation of the intelligence of the average driver who will often drive until the gauge reads empty.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:55 AM

The low-fuel alarm typically goes off at roughly the 14.5-gallon mark, which means almost 3 gallons remain in the tank. On my last tank, which was 36.4 mpg, I drove 65 miles after the low-fuel alarm went off, and put in 16.1 gallons, so there were 1.1 gallons left in the tank. Of course that remaining gallon shouldn't be used, but you can see the light goes off very early.

OP, you only pumped 14.5 gallons (55 L). You could have driven the car much further.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:36 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

According to the Toyota Camry Hybrid Repair Manual (page ME-52):

"The fuel level warning light will come on when the fuel level is below 9.8 liters."

This is ~2.6 US gallons. This confirms the measurements made and reported by many TCH owners, that the fuel remaining when the warning light comes on is between 2 and 3 US gallons.

Stan