considering a TCH

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default considering a TCH

Looking to get input for me and others that might be on the fence for buying a TCH.

Currently i am driving a 99 camry CE with 144k miles (purchased oct 98) and content with it. Recently had a small accident and rather buy a new one than repair this. I love the idea behind a hybrid but would like to stay in a full sized sedan.

As i drive about 18-19k a year a hybrid makes sense to me. I live in Los Angeles and do all kinds of driving from freeway 70-80mph to freeways worse than surface streets. I do an avg 40miles a day mostly surface and some driving for work and lots of personal driving ranging form the weekly 30mile trip to a friends house to the vacation to vegas for the weekend . Though car-wise was looking at the cost difference between 07 camry SE and the hybrid base model as i don't want to pay 30k for a car.

I test drove a TCH for the first time yesterday at a dealership (for interested ppl North HOllywood Toyota and they had 2 in stock red and silver base models though they are asking above MSRP $4-5K) and enjoyed the drive. I liked the layout of the car and how it handled but was disappointed to see the 20mpg during the test drive. The trunk was a bit smaller than i would like but can live with it.

I have a deposit at a dealership that is not selling over MSRP (unless they do a bait a switch when car arrives at the dealership). Was wondering what people think. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Don't want to drive like a grandma either i guess is biggest concern.

Last edited by frankg; 06-05-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: considering a TCH

Don't be too worried about the test drive mpg. I, too saw low numbers, but realized that test drives are about other stuff than mpg. We bought one a week ago and have been getting 40+ mpg in good ol' suburbia. Two 50 mile freeway trips this weekend, with a family of four in the car, returned 37 and 38 mpg (highway speed was between 70 and 75 or so) I have yet to fill the tank, so these numbers are based on the display.

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:49 PM
mak
Banned

My suggestion is to go to the Toyota website enter your zip code then pretty much contact the dealers on that list to see if they have any in stock. Also ask them if they are selling them at MSRP. Be firm with them. With luck you will be able to get your TCH. Some dealers to avoid:

Santa Monica Toyota: Fleet manager told me that they are selling the cars at MSRP but you will also need to purchase Protective paint/rust protection and chrome wheels which is around 2K

Longo Toyota: They only do waitlist, and the last time I checked they told me any where from 2 weeks to 2 months.

Toyota of Orange: I walked in they had one in stock, told me 40K + Taxes and license, so I walked out

Power Toyota of Buena Park: Same as Toyota of Orange, plus they made me wait 45 mins so they could "find" the car.

Good luck in your search

Old 06-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

Hi mak,

I live in the So. Cal. area. Thanks for the list of dealers to avoid. Do you (or anyone else who lives in the So. Cal. area) have a list of dealers that you feel are more reputable?

I gave a deposit to Power Toyota of Cerritos this weekend as they are supposed to have the TCH with the options I want in 3-5 weeks. They sell there TCHs at MSRP with no markup. I have no reason to believe that they will markup the vehicle, but I want to make sure that they keep their word. Anyone deal with the Cerritos delaership?

Old 06-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mak

Toyota of Orange: I walked in they had one in stock, told me 40K + Taxes and license, so I walked out

Power Toyota of Buena Park: Same as Toyota of Orange, plus they made me wait 45 mins so they could "find" the car.

Good luck in your search
Holy crap. 40k? Is that a 10k markup, or is some of that unnecessary dealer addons?

Potential customers of these dealers need to show them that they can't get away with these ridiculous markups (by laughing in their face and walking right out the door).

Old 06-05-2006, 04:26 PM
mak
Banned

Yeah that 40K was the for the loaded version, still that about a 9K markup from MSRP.

Here's a list of dealers that I recommend:

Family Toyota
http://www.familytoyota.com

Spoke with the fleet manager, very helpful person. They had a loaded white TCH available when I called and I was literally going out the door when he called me back saying they had just sold it. But also got a call back about 2 weeks later saying they had gotten another one in. Still I would recommend them.

Toyota Of Long Beach
http://www.toyotaoflongbeach.com

Dealt with Leslie Greene
Definitely would have done business with her if I had not found my TCH by then.

Puente Hills Toyota
http://www.puentehillstoyota.com

Selling TCH at MSRP, got a call from them too that one was available in Grey. But unfortunately I had My White TCH already.

South Bay Toyota
http://www.southbaytoyota.com

Very helpful Internet Fleet Manager but I can't remember his name though. Also asking MSRP

Your best bet is simply go down the list. I have been told that they are currently getting allocations of about 2 TCH each week depending on the dealer. But the thing is that they don't know exactly what color or options are on the car until it acutally arrives on the truck. Also the best days to call are Wendesdays and Fridays. That is when they usually get the new allocations of TCH's.
Be persistent and firm, personally I wouldn't put down a 500 deposit on something I don't even know when I am going to receive it. Take the best deal and don't ever purchase something you are pressured into. The most important thing is that you are happy with your choice.

Last edited by mak; 06-05-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:46 PM

Be wary of dealers that claim MSRP but add worthless accessories to inflate the price. If they happen to have any cars on the lot, take a look at them to see if they've added any crap to them.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

we got off topic about discussing the car =p can we move back to that =). Btw i was looking to buy it at Hammer Toyota in Mission Hills. Up to this point sales person has been very nice. If i decide to actually buy it =(

Old 06-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffeynboo
Hi mak,

I live in the So. Cal. area. Thanks for the list of dealers to avoid. Do you (or anyone else who lives in the So. Cal. area) have a list of dealers that you feel are more reputable?

I gave a deposit to Power Toyota of Cerritos this weekend as they are supposed to have the TCH with the options I want in 3-5 weeks. They sell there TCHs at MSRP with no markup. I have no reason to believe that they will markup the vehicle, but I want to make sure that they keep their word. Anyone deal with the Cerritos delaership?
I bought a Sienna several years ago when they were really hot and most dealers were marking them up above MSRP. Bought mine from South Bay Toyota at MSRP. Recommend you check them out. Ask to see Tina (Fleet Manager). The General Manager is Nick and he says they will not go above MSRP.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Bottom line is it's a great car. I haven't bought many cars, but the TCH is a marvel that I recommend highly. Car buying sucks no matter who you buy from. Wasn't it Steve Miller that said you have to get through Hell before you get to Heaven?

Quick Reply: considering a TCH

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands