Coating under car (driver side)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Coating under car (driver side)

Hello everyone,

Last night was a sad night when there were two dead animals in the road on a pitch black night and although I tried to avoid them one was hit.

This impact was sadly loud and broke off the rear tire's front "splash guard plastic. So, besides having to fix that (after washing the underside of the car), I notice there was a rub spot and some missing foam like coating under the car.

The coating is black and "squishy." Does anyone know what this is and if I can repair that spot to keep the rest from peeling off?

I noticed it doesn't cover everything so I assume it is some kind of sound absorption material but not sure.

Thanks everyone!
Mike

Old 06-18-2007, 11:02 AM
SPL
Default Re: Coating under car (driver side)

mikieboyblue — Sorry to hear of your mishap. There are assorted foam undercoating materials of different thicknesses used in the TCH, some for anti-rust and some for noise-deadening purposes. See the attached pages from the New Car Features Guide. Let us know how you make out.

Stan

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BO-10to11.pdf (146.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: pdf
BO-12to15.pdf (129.1 KB, 256 views)
Old 06-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Default Re: Coating under car (driver side)

Hmm, it is certainly number 4 (Under coat) or 5 (Anti-chipping application). Since it is "soft" I would thing it is the soft-chip primer. All of the under coating I have seen is hard. This peels off like foam.

I'll have to ask around.