cnn money.com slams THC in comparison article

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: cnn money.com slams THC in comparison article

I thought your subject line was kind of misleading- this isn't a comparison article with the TCH at all, it's a very flattering review of the new Aura, and there's one sentence buried near the end about how a mild hybrid system takes up less trunk space with its battery pack than the one in the TCH. My reaction- no big deal.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Too Smug

Originally Posted by Pete4
Lets start from the very beginning: definition of Hybrid, it usually means combination of 2 species, in automotive world it means combination of 2 drive trains, electric motor and internal combustion engine. How can GM call Aura a hybrid is totally beyond me. This car has nothing to do with Hybrid, since there is nothing to propel the car by electricity. All they did is put bigger battery with bigger starter, so the engine can be started faster and therefore the engine can stop running when the car is not moving (I wonder what happens to AC then?). There is no electric drive, there is no electric boost, there is nothing hybrid about this car. So how and why are they comparing this to Camry Hybrid is a mystery to me. It is also beyond me how GM can BS everybody, calling this car a hybrid. Isn't there a law against false advertising, claiming something which it isn't? Panasonic sells High Definition Plasmas, which are not high definition, GM starts selling hybrid cars, which are not hybrid, when is this nonsense going to end? Outside of the fact that the article incorrectly states that GM will be selling hybrid Aura, which it is not, the article seems to me like a paid advertisement from GM. BTW I hate the red/brown leather interior, it is the most ugly think I've seen for long time IMO.
The Union of Concerned Scientists, an independent, objective watchdog took it upon themselves to set the record straight about hybrid vehicles and the various pretenders out there now. Check out their website at the link here:

http://www.hybridcenter.org/hybrid-w...in-a-name.html

Old 10-10-2006, 11:44 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Outside of the fact that the article incorrectly states that GM will be selling hybrid Aura, which it is not, the article seems to me like a paid advertisement from GM.
But Saturn will be selling a Hybrid Aura in 2007. A Google search can find a 1000 references to it.

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/10...f70062b2c8.txt
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlot...s/15652355.htm
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116831

etc.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Orcrone
This is a tangent, but what do you mean by this? I own a plasma hi-def plasma TV and would love to know why it is not hi-def.
High Definition is defined as video picture with the resolution of 1280x720 pixels or 1920x1080 pixels. Panasonic among other companies sells TV's that do not have at least 1280x720 pixels, but much less and still calls them High Definition. They also sell true high definition sets but without knwing the specs and actually reading them it is not possible to tell what is what. If your TV is high definition then it is but don't take it for granted because it says so. The same with hybrid cars, unless you read small print people will think they buy GM made hybrid, but the problem is the car is not a hybrid and never will be untill it gets some sort of electric drivetrain, to help push the car. My problem with this whole thing is that GM build fully electric car many years ago, EV1. Of course they wasted billion dollars developing that car and never used the technology they had back then and let Toyota and Honda pass them. All they had to do is make the EV1 battery smaller and replace portion of it with some small engine capable of recharging them on the go and increasing range. Instead they put some high energy starter and BS everybody that it is a hybrid.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:38 PM

High Definition is defined as video picture with the resolution of 1280x720 pixels or 1920x1080 pixels. Panasonic among other companies sells TV's that do not have at least 1280x720 pixels, but much less and still calls them High Definition. They also sell true high definition sets but without knwing the specs and actually reading them it is not possible to tell what is what. If your TV is high definition then it is but don't take it for granted because it says so. The same with hybrid cars, unless you read small print people will think they buy GM made hybrid, but the problem is the car is not a hybrid and never will be untill it gets some sort of electric drivetrain, to help push the car. My problem with this whole thing is that GM build fully electric car many years ago, EV1. Of course they wasted billion dollars developing that car and never used the technology they had back then and let Toyota and Honda pass them. All they had to do is make the EV1 battery smaller and replace portion of it with some small engine capable of recharging them on the go and increasing range. Instead they put some high energy starter and BS everybody that it is a hybrid.
I agree with your desciption of the hybrid. The Panasonic has a resolution of 1366 x 768. However, my understanding of hi-def is that it's either 720P (progressive scan) or 1080i (interleaved). So I don't see why it's not hi-def. They do have EDTVs that only meet the 480P spec. Either way I love the picture on the set.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:30 PM

OT
Your set is fine, it is HD by all means, but they used to sell sets nowhere near HD, like 800x600 and call it HD, maybe it wasn't Panasonic, I have nothing against them and they have very good reputation. It just makes me very angry that huge company like GM totally misleads the public, like they couldn't do better and come out with actual hybrid or even better technology. After all it's been what, only 30 years since the first oil embargo and first gas shortage? And what hapened to all the reaserch and money spend on EV1 project? They should be selling electric car technology to Japanese, not pretend to build hybrids and using it as a cheap marketing gimmick. And of course without initial, instant push from electric motor those so called GM hybrids will be slow off the line and probably won't sell that well anyway, tarnishing hybrid reputation. Or maybe that's the whole plan?

Old 10-10-2006, 06:38 PM

I think what you may be referring to are EDTV sets that retailers don't always differentiate from HDTV.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Getting back to the TCH ... here is another article today on CNN... http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/10/02/...rid/index.html

Makes the comment that many of us have made...if everyone had the instant feedback our driving habits would change. The comment is made about the smaller trunk and the new Saturn coming out, but all in all pretty complimentary to the TCH.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:46 AM

I thought CNN's article was a fair review. I'd agree with most of it. I just wouldn't have recommended another car (Aura) before it's even come out.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by Orcrone
I thought CNN's article was a fair review. I'd agree with most of it. I just wouldn't have recommended another car (Aura) before it's even come out.
I'm with you on that one.. Or at the very least publish the amount of cubic trunk space for both vehicles (which they didn't do) .. Also - does the Aura come with a pass-through trunk? Seems that this is missing from the Honda Civic Hybrid - don't know about the others...

The only thing I'm really looking for from Toyota in the near future is a retro-fit ability to PLUG-IN my car...