City MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow City MPG

Have been testing the FE around town. The longer I drive on a trip, the better the MPG. My normal trip is about 2 miles. When I drive 5 miles, my MPG goes from 33 - 34 mpg, up around 40 mpg.

I also find that if I drive in the city after on the freeway, that many times I can get over 40 mpg.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: City MPG

I live in stop light city. I can't go one mile without a stoplight and my trips always yeild me 33-34 mpg.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

My driving situation is very similar except I am in Canada so it is cold here.

My daily driving to work is about 7 KMS(one way) with about half a dozen stop signs and about that many lights. My only straight coasting road is about 2 KMS if lights are in favor. With 95% driving like this in city, I got about 44 MPG (Imperial) and 36.7 MPG (US) on my first dealer supplied tank.

I just found something and I am not sure if this always true or not. After ICE is warmed enough and with pulse and glide technique, you can run TCH on pure Electric mode. Yes everyone knows this. But what I am experiencing is that after ICE is little warm, TCH may not go in EV mode all the time even after usual pulse and glide technique and full charge on hybrid battery. What works for me is that if TCH is not going back in EV mode, I stop completely and wait few seconds until ICE turns off. Then if I try pulse and glide, it works and goes in EV mode. It looks like some time TCH compluter gets confused and won't turn ICE off despite all right things. So by stopping and waiting for few seconds it comes back to normal.

I am still not 100% on this but this is just my second tank and I have about 1000 KMS on ODO meter so still learning.

All experinced users please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Old 05-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast

I am another Canadian (west coast) and I have experienced the same thing. It usually happens at night for me and I think it has something to do with the outside temperature. I have driven for 20 minutes, with everything warmed up and a full battery charge and sure enough, the ICE will not shut off sometimes when it should. Now that the weather is warmer, it is happening less.
Congrats on your TCH purchase.