chutter while cold starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation chutter while cold starting

my tch "chutters" from time to time during coldstarts. I've since put the car in the garage (not heated) and its still happening. does any one else have this problem? i'm still getting used to the idling sounds while warming up, overrevving and lower rpm's, but the chutter worries me
only have 8100 KMs on it

Old 02-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: chutter while cold starting

I had the issue couple times also, i haven't found the cause or exactly when it would happen. This morning the outside temperature was -3F when I started the car, those chutter noise didn't come out.

I had couple experience that the engine chutter.... haven't reported for the service yet.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

i can't say for sure if it is a cold start issue but it definitly doesn't happen in nice weather

Old 02-05-2007, 11:34 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Does it happen only at the instant of start, or while it's doing the 5 second high rev warm up ?

Old 02-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Electricity Guzzler

My car chutters sometimes, more so on very cold morn. starts. It concerns me some and I keep thinking I'm glad I don't have a friend in the car now or I'd be embarrassed.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

the chutter is happening at the instant of startup

btw i too am familiar with the chirps and squeaks coming from the console but really no big deal
perhaps the overall ride is TOO quiet!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Mine does it from time to time. It starts right up even when it was -18f this morning (car sits outside and no block heater installed yet)..

Old 02-06-2007, 05:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Has anyone noticed that the car/brakes shudder when stopping for the first time on a really cold morning?

The temps recently dropped to 10-15 degrees here and when I stop at the stop sign about 1/2 mile from my house, the car (or brakes) shudder. I'm only going about 10mph and am pretty smooth on the brakes, so I can't imagine it is the ABS kicking in. It doesn't happen when I stop at subsequent stop signs/lights.

Could it be the brakes are grabbing until they warm up?

Last edited by klynch; 02-06-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

What is a "chutter"?
Even Google let me down.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:19 AM
jpt
Enthusiast

I have experienced the "cold start chutter" twice. Last night coming home from work (around mid 20's degrees) and this morning (low 20's). The evening was parked in a lot all day, the morning from home- an attached garage temps above freezing.

I've previously experienced slight chutter infrequently and randomly when moving from a full stop at a light, when the engine turns on, regardless of whether engine was warmed up. This was slight, and I assumed must be the nature of the hybrid. But these two cold start instances made loud rough noises from engine compartment, although quick (just a second) as the engine turned on, not when I press the start button. My wife standing at the garage door clearly heard it.

Obviously this raised my concern, so if anybody hears anything about this as being a real problem, please be sure to post it here!

Have the new car since Dec. 1st.

Last edited by jpt; 02-07-2007 at 10:21 AM.

Quick Reply: chutter while cold starting

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands