Check engine ligth

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Check engine ligth

Originally Posted by ahmadkq
Till now, the check engine light is on BUT the car is stop knocking at morning. so, i guess the injectors are clean now. Here we don't have the seafoam but i used Total cleaner and Wurth cleaner. From the link provided, if p0304 and p0171 are exist, then most likely it is dirty injector. About the MAF, we don't have a cleaner for him here in Jordan but i checked it and it seems very clean. About Gas brand, we don't have brands for Gas where all the gas has the same source but I usually using it from Total gas-station. The truth guys, i am the responsible about this issue where i used to fill the car with 90 octane not 95. Also, last month (before this issue is happened), i added additive to increase the octane number and i am sure this caused the problem.

1. good you used cleaners and apparently it helped at least some
2. DO NOT REMOVE BATTERY TERMINALS TO RESET CODES!!!! there's too much electronics in this car to shut them down for 15 minutes. horror stories were reported by some that did this, as it resets all kinds of features in all kinds of electronics . if you want to try resetting error codes, pull ECM fuse out. that's it. you keep your presets for stereo and everything else, but it normally clears error codes. bulletproof
3. you can not LOOK at MAF sensor and determine if it's clean or not. though MAF sensor cleaner is recommended, you can get away with using any electronics spray cleaner. that they do sell in Jordan, right?
4. not sure about petrol in Jordan, but I do not believe this car needs to run on high octane petrol. we normally use 82 octane petrol here and she does fine. oh, by the way, in English, a car is a "she", not a "he".

Old 11-19-2011, 08:45 AM

hey, rburto, I think he screwed up his O2 sensor readings by using 95 octane petrol. which kicked back into ECM as "running rich" code and ECM knocked it down to leaner mix.
what do you say?

Old 11-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

In Jordan and other countries, 95 is regular gas, 98 is premium. Putting in bad gas and adding additive to enhance it is bad, could be the wrong additve. The knocking stop probably because he used up all those bad gas.

Disconnecting the battery will just re-initialize everything back to default so the ECM will re-learn again (mileage will suffer initially), sure you'll lose your presets but that's the safest way to do when dealing with electronics in the car. It's an option if you have to deal with the electronics in the cars or your code reader can't clear codes.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:41 PM

Thanks guys. I went to my friend and he cleared the error codes. Today is the 3rd day and everything is ok. About the Gas, here in Jordan the 90 Octane is bad an not clean and I just knew that my relative who had the same car filled it with 90 Octane and the check-engine light became on, then he filled it with 95 and it turned to Off. I would like to thank you all for your information and advices. Will keep you update if anything is happened.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:19 AM

you most welcome. allahu akbar.

please, DO NOT disconnect battery to reset anything on this car. it has multiple micro processors and memory storages that support hybrid synergy drive. they all are supported by 12V supply from auxiliary battery. to reset error codes in your computer only, there is no logical reason to disconnect everything.
back in time here, someone, I think it was rburto, even posted that they had a back up 12V battery hooked up to battery cables, while they were swapping out the old battery for a new one. same thread had some end user feedback about car being towed back to dealership for "factory reset" because 12V battery was simply disconnected.
this is not your regular vanilla passenger car. this is highly computerized vehicle with multiple vital systems that are continuously powered by 12V battery. better safe, then sorry.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

that's completely BS, so many people have had their AUX battery completely discharged (because they haven't used it for a long time) and it didn't cause any problems once it gets boosted. I didn't see it in the service manual either that it will destroy or make the electronics fail because of disconnecting the battery. The only thing that was mentioned there was to "re-learn the idle" (of course the ECU settings are gone so it has to know your driving habits again) but all cars do that.

I have disconnected my battery before (autozone code reader can't talk to TCH) and didn't notice any issues, sure I lost my audio settings and phonebook that's it.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:50 PM

Guys, it is a week now and the light is still off. BUT the noise still appears some times on the morning and it last for 20-30 seconds. I read about something regarding this issue and they said that using the genuine oil filter will solve the problem but i am using it since 2 years. What do you think the problem and how can i investigate it? Any help?

Old 12-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Hello all. I fixed the issue. The problem was from the injectors where they were dirty. I cleaned then in the shop and everything now is ok.