Check Engine - Gas Cap TSB

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Check Engine - Gas Cap TSB

Originally Posted by gtzerphy
A follow up to my previous post. I have finally realized that the gas cap doesn't always thread properly. If the cap is tight in less than two revolutions, back it off and try again. When it is on properly, it takes at least two revolutions to tighten completly.(It will be an obvious difference)

For me, it took six+ driving cycles for my CEL to reset.(longer than I thought it would.)
Greg
If it's left not threaded right does that then result in a cap that's loose when you check it?

I had been careful after the first instance I found of a cap loose which hadn't yet resulted in a check engine light. I was SURE that at the fill-up just before this past instance with the check engine light that I had tightened the cap with clicks. However when I checked it, it was very loose.

I guess i need to count the turns when I put it in.

What constitute a "driving cycle?" Does it require cold engine to hot engine and back to cold? I've had many short stops and the light is still on. I'll get the dealer to take a look and check out the TSB status tomorrow under warranty.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gtzerphy
A follow up to my previous post. I have finally realized that the gas cap doesn't always thread properly. If the cap is tight in less than two revolutions, back it off and try again. When it is on properly, it takes at least two revolutions to tighten completly.(It will be an obvious difference)

For me, it took six+ driving cycles for my CEL to reset.(longer than I thought it would)

Since I have figured this out, I have not had an issue.

Hope this helps others.

Greg
I also experienced this on my 09 TCH, then I read here about the TSB. The dealer replaced the gas tank filler neck and cap, and now it threads properly every time.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Check Engine - Gas Cap TSB ***Installed***

Originally Posted by jbollt
I also experienced this on my 09 TCH, then I read here about the TSB. The dealer replaced the gas tank filler neck and cap, and now it threads properly every time.
I just returned picking up my 2009 Camry Hybrid.

I left it with the shop in Sunnyvale at 7:30 this morning and got a ride home from them but they don't pick you up when the car is done.

After I called and asked for an update they called about 2:30 and said it'd be ready in an hour. It took a 3/4 hour bus ride and walking another 15 or 20 minutes from the bus stop to their shop.

Yup, they installed the TSB - the filler neck and cap. Haven't bothered to look at it but will at the end of the week when I drive 200 miles south and stop in Salinas 60 miles away from here where gas is cheaper than in the San Jose area or at my destination of San Luis Obispo.

It's taking some getting used to not having to make as many gas stops!! And that's a good "getting used to"!!!

Thanks to all for leading me to the solution to my frustration with the loose gas cap instances!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

For the record, any problems with gas caps and filler tubes is definitely an emissions problem, which is covered by your 8 year/80,000 mile federal emissions warranty, or 10 year, 150,000 mile California warranty if you are in CA.