Cheaper Cabin Air Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Electricity Guzzler
Default Cheaper Cabin Air Filters?

In Canada, my dealer charges $33 bucks for the cabin filter that goes behind the glove box. Canadian Tire used used to be a good source for cheaper after market filters. (20 bucks). Some suggested that their micron particulate air filters did a better job than the stock "dust and pollen" filters. Can. Tire Stores no longer stock the filter for the 2007 Camrys. The associate informed me today that they are discontinued. He stated that they won't have filters in the future for our car either. - stated something about Toyota sharing less specs to 3rd party suppliers. - Reverse engineering are two of my favourite words. any ideas? Anyone out there using non toyota Cabin filters? How much do dealers charge in the states? The Canadian and American dollar is close to parity now. ~98 cents today I believe. If cheaper I''ll pick up some in Northern New York State next time. (I'm in Ottawa, an hr north of the border). tx

Old 01-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cheaper Cabin Air Filters?

I was in Advanced Auto Parts picking up oil and a filter today and saw they did carry the Purolator (spelling) cabin filter for the TCH. I did not look at how much.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:02 PM

I was told back in 2003 that Purolator made the filters for Toyota. I'm not sure if thats still true. I do know the Purolator oil filter holes are the same. Seems like there were 8 holes on top of the filter. Some other brands of filters had 6. I did find the Purolator filters was available from Pep Boys and Advance Auto Stores. Some other auto stores may be listed on the Purolator web site. The oil filter from my local Toyota dealer was $6, same price as Pep Boys.

I once bought a cabin filter for my Corolla from Pep Boys. I have not had to purchase one for the TCH yet because only a few months old. That cabin filter for the '03 Corolla cost $18 but that was years ago.

Last edited by rburt07; 01-12-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Camry Freak

The last time I was at my dealer, I went to the parts department I asked how much it would be. The guy said that it cost $25 U.S.

Last edited by 07CamHybrid; 02-11-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yeah that sucks >.<. I took up one of the last few air filters they had.

Grr... I guess they're not happy that we're spending $20 at CT rather than $35 at the dealership for a dust & pollen.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 AM

I had my dealer pull out what were supposedly my engine and cabin air filters to show me that they were dirty.

They said the cabin filter would cost me $45 and the engine air filter was $20. At first I said OK, but then I changed my mind after I remembered seeing the title of this thread a while back.

I will change them myself.

(Does anyone know the recommended interval for replacement of these filters, or is it just on an "as needed" basis?) My engine air filter didn't look that dirty to me, and the cabin filter was a bit dirtier.

Are either of these filters difficult to get to?

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:30 PM

I change my own cabin and air filters. I owned the '03 Corolla for 3 years. I replaced the filters only once during that time. I forget at what mileage. Probably at 30,000 miles just like I used to do on my older cars. I will have to read the TCH manual to see the recommended time for replacement.

Yes, I have been to some some oil change places and they come in with a dirty air filter. Thats a huge profit for them. I say no and rather stick with the car manufactures recommendation.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
I change my own cabin and air filters. I owned the '03 Corolla for 3 years. I replaced the filters only once during that time. I forget at what mileage. Probably at 30,000 miles just like I used to do on my older cars. I will have to read the TCH manual to see the recommended time for replacement.

Yes, I have been to some some oil change places and they come in with a dirty air filter. Thats a huge profit for them. I say no and rather stick with the car manufactures recommendation.
The OEM does make a recommendation, but warns you that replacement may be needed on a more frequent basis in the event that it the operating environment is extremely dusty. For example, Honda says to follow the maintenance minder for engine and cabin air filter changes, but tells you to ignore the Maintenance Minder and simply replace them every 15k if the operating conditions are very dusty.

From my experience, one-year or 15k miles is a good interval for the cabin air filter for those of us who suffer from allergies. The engine air filter may not need to be replaced until the 30k mark under some environments, but I've seen some air filters that were extremely dirty after only 15k as well. YMMV.

Anyway, if you are tired of paying high prices for cabin air filters from the dealer, try the Bosch replacements from AutoZone. They usually cost less than $20. The Napa Gold/Wix filters from Napa are also an alternative, but tend to be price a tad higher, but still lower than the dealer.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:52 AM
SPL

Here's the recommendation from the TCH Repair Manual — see page BE-49 (attached). I can't help wondering whether there's a conversion error between US and metric units here, because the Canadian recommendation (16 000 km) would equate to only ~9900 miles, and this seems far too low. The correct metric conversion of 30 000 miles would be ~48 000 km. I suspect that, instead of multiplying miles by 1.6 to get km, thay may have divided instead. When rounded off to a multiple of the 8000-km metric service interval, that would give a change interval of 16 000 km as the (faulty) conversion from 30 000 miles. Alternatively, if the intended change interval is actually 16 000 km, then perhaps it should have read 10 000 and not 30 000 miles.

Stan

Attached Files
Old 01-23-2008, 08:09 AM

Make your own from good pleated furnace filters and a bit of tape. They do just as well.H

Quick Reply: Cheaper Cabin Air Filters?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands