Changed the EPA mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 06:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Changed the EPA mileage

In the Car & Driver article referenced in the post by TKCamry they claimed that the EPA estimates are 43/37. I've seen this in other publications too. However, the actual sticker claims 40/38. Anyone know why the discrpency? Did Toyota lower the EPA estimates?

Old 06-12-2006, 06:45 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: Changed the EPA mileage

The manufacturer puts out early estimates that is then used by publications that actually lock in the contents of their articles well before the publication date. Later when the EPA tested, the actual numbers come out. But by then many car magazines have gone to press. As new Camry Hybrid reviews start coming out, they will have the new numbers.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by TKCamry
The manufacturer puts out early estimates that is then used by publications that actually lock in the contents of their articles well before the publication date. Later when the EPA tested, the actual numbers come out. But by then many car magazines have gone to press. As new Camry Hybrid reviews start coming out, they will have the new numbers.
TK, aren't the EPA numbers provided by the manufacturers using EPA guidelines. I didn't think the EPA actually did the testing. That's why I don't understand why it would change.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:50 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by Orcrone
TK, aren't the EPA numbers provided by the manufacturers using EPA guidelines. I didn't think the EPA actually did the testing. That's why I don't understand why it would change.
Actually, it is both. The mfgs follow EPA guidelines and submit results to the EPA. But the EPA also tests cars to verify that the mfgs are following guidelines and are getting the same results as the EPA testing. The EPA may not test every single model variant in a line of cars, but they do test each model as far as I know.

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/data.htm
The test data used to determine the fuel economy estimates posted on the fuel economy labels and to calculate a manufacturer's corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) is derived from vehicle testing done at EPA's National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and by vehicle manufacturers who submit their own test data to EPA.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think I read somewhere that Toyota had tweaked the HSD just before launching the product. I think they lowered the HP of the engine a bit. They may have done more. You may be able to google for this, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to find again. You could always e-mail Toyota and ask them.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:15 AM

The official maximum output of the battery was reduced from 45 HP to 40, which lowered the car's total power (ICE + battery) by 5 HP, from 192 to 187. The ICE is 147 HP.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
The official maximum output of the battery was reduced from 45 HP to 40, which lowered the car's total power (ICE + battery) by 5 HP, from 192 to 187. The ICE is 147 HP.
You wouldn't expect a decrease in HP to result in the city mileage going from 43 to 40.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:33 AM

This could be a situation where Toyota submitted results to the EPA at 43/37 and THEN the EPA did their own testing and got 40/38.

That's my guess.

See more at the EPA "how we test" site:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml