Car Wash Attendant protocol. What works for you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Car Wash Attendant protocol. What works for you?

Originally Posted by spiff72
It is in French. If Eskimonio's post above hadn't been written in pseudo-redneck-french, this would have been clearer.
Merde, my bad. I wrongly assumed a Spanish version existed.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spiff72
The only problem was that there was a spot where the sap seemed to leave a raised area of paint. It almost seemed like the paint bubbled under it. I don't think that the alcohol did it (but I can't be certain). (This is a moot point, though, since my hood is now being replaced after a deer collision last week Friday).

Big Spiffer, hope all goes well on the fix from your deer encounter.

With regard to denatured alcohol. That's a big negative on a car finish. I would suggest using 'goo gone' or even zippo lighter fluid or even gasoline as opposed to the denatured alcohol.

Even though one would think gas would harm a finish, it's not a GREAT thing to apply regularly, but can be used to remove tar and sap, and is much less risky than denatured alcohol. Think about how much gas you've spilled in your life by overfilling a vehicle, and I've yet to see one that has a permanent streak by the filler neck. As you said, moot point...but for the future.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eskimonio
Big Spiffer, hope all goes well on the fix from your deer encounter.

With regard to denatured alcohol. That's a big negative on a car finish. I would suggest using 'goo gone' or even zippo lighter fluid or even gasoline as opposed to the denatured alcohol.

Even though one would think gas would harm a finish, it's not a GREAT thing to apply regularly, but can be used to remove tar and sap, and is much less risky than denatured alcohol. Think about how much gas you've spilled in your life by overfilling a vehicle, and I've yet to see one that has a permanent streak by the filler neck. As you said, moot point...but for the future.
Thanks - I miss my TCH terribly!

I actually looked at my goo gone bottle, and it said that it might harm some paint finishes, so I didn't use it.

I ended up using rubbing alcohol on mine. I am not clear if rubbing alcohol and denatured are the same... the mark that was left behind by the sap was exactly where the sap had been, so I don't think the alcohol did it. I immediately spot-rewaxed the spot after removing the sap.

I found numerous references to alcohol to remove sap on the internet. There are a SURPRISING number of references to items like mayonnaise, ice, peanut butter, butter, etc.

In hindsight I would probably try something different if it happened again.

EDIT: I just looked up the difference between denatured and rubbing alcohols. Rubbing alcohol (at least the kind I have) is 70% isopropyl alcohol/30% water, and denatured alcohol is by definition ethanol with additives to make it poisonous and/or unpalatable for drinking. i don't know if this makes any difference to paint finishes, though!

Last edited by spiff72; 08-22-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ahh good. Yeah, rubbing alcohol is fairly benign with respect to paint finishes...like gasoline, you don't want to use it to wash your car ;-) but you scared me when you said denatured alcohol...it's used often to remove paint from paint brushes. :-)

Old 08-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Enthusiast

My bad.. the "other" language is indeed French and not Spanish.

Any Spanish translators around ?

Originally Posted by Eskimonio

Not hacking at you, just want to make sure you double-check your card to ensure you don't give FRENCH instructions to a carwash that doesn't employ any french speakers.

You do bring up a good point, though, one could easily translate those instructions into spanish and place that in the car.