This car really kicks ***

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default This car really kicks ***

I have had my new '07 Camry hybrid now for 3 days. That first evening of driving around netted me 44.4 mpg. The second day we drove for 45 minutes up near Ruidoso, NM to eat then drove back. This was up in the mountains. That drive includes 16 miles of climbing. I looked at the scan gauge and it was reading .4, .8 and 1.1 gallons per hour as the engine ran during the whole climb. What goes up, must come down. On the way back down it stayed in the EV mode for the whole sixteen miles while charging the batteries. We ended up with 47.9 mpg when we got home.

Today it rained a lot. We still drove to town to eat and made a few more stops. I did not get to put many miles on the car today.

I have learned to drive slower using the cruise between the main highway and the 2 miles to our house. It's a tar and gravel road. The posted speed on these country roads is 35 mph. I found I can drive at 25 or 30 using the cruise and it will stay in the EV mode the full 2 miles.

When we leave the house during the day the engine kicks on and will stay on for about 3/4 mile warming it up to about 145 degrees as it charges the batteries.

The FE readout now reads 48 mpg with only 189 miles on the new car. I'm sure looking forward to what this car can do once it's broke-in. Our 4-lane highways are very level in this usually very dry southern part of the state. If you ever been to the White Sands National Monument or driving the highway north of El Paso you know what I'm talking about.

I was surprised to find out the air conditioner and heater are totally electric. During the winter as the engine heats up, then it switches from battery heat to the engine heat. I saw a chart that shows the compressor is variable. I guess a warmer setting like 77 degrees and low fan would not pull on the battery as much.

Toyota news says there now coming out with a new van sold only in Japan. Toyota plans on selling 700 a month in Japan. It is driven by 4 electric motors, one behind each wheel. Its the first of its kind anywhere. I think its still considered a hybrid as it still has a gas engine. Somehow they vary the voltage from the accelerator to the electric motors to drive the van. Reports say its easy to drive and is very stable. Could be, this may eliminate the transmission, axle and any cvt joints. This would also eliminate the larger single electric motor. That would save lots of weight. Think of it, simpler is better.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-30-2007 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: This car really kicks ***

glad to see another happy hybrid customer! i am also just as impressed with my camry hybrid.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah another new hybrid owner! I got mine last Wednesday!

Old 07-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yup, TCH is an amazing vehicle and in two months it will be 1 year for me. I am still under 6k miles and I am enjoying the EV mode every time I stop in a traffic light or drive under 45mph...

Old 07-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: This car really kicks ***

i feel the same way. i have only had mine for 1.5 weeks, barely over 200 miles, but i have to say i am 'in love' with my car. i have never had such an affinity for any vehicle i have ever owned. i can't get enough of it and when i look at it i smile...i love it!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

What is your elevation there? Not to minimize your strong driving techniques, but most vehicles do better at higher elevations due to the effectively reduced engine size from the lower air density. Mass flow sensor adjusts for it very well. I got great mpg when I lived in Denver for several years, which is when I first realized there was a difference. Your numbers are excellent, without a doubt, but I would expect that 10-15% of that is from the altitude.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast

Rburt07 - You may find this interesting:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/6104/

Last edited by peapod1; 07-30-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Thumbs up Re: This car really kicks ***

Originally Posted by agnosto
Yup, TCH is an amazing vehicle and in two months it will be 1 year for me. I am still under 6k miles and I am enjoying the EV mode every time I stop in a traffic light or drive under 45mph...
6K in ten months? Heck, I put on that in three months. It really doesn't matter though. I havn't been this excited by a car since my Porsche 912 back in '66. I just keep looking at that arrow running from the tire to the battery on the display when coasting or braking and thinking "Money in da bank, Money in da bank, Money in da bank". I just can't help it.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast

I have 7500 miles in two months!

Old 07-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peapod1
Rburt07 - You may find this interesting:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/6104/
Thanks for the site. That thing would be like driving a rocket.

I read somewhere that the electric motor in the Camry is capable of 400 hp. Toyota only uses about 10% of that to keep the batteries happy. I can see now what the future holds for the hybrids once they go to improved battery power.

Quick Reply: This car really kicks ***

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands