In car computing...the future is here...and it's scary!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: In car computing...the future is here...and it's scary!

As someone that has a laptop MOUNTED between his seats in a brand new 2010 FEH, I would love it if there was more integration. It would be nice to not have a laptop (Like the cops have) and have the computer integrated with the car.

Its a pain every time I go shopping and have to take everything down and hide it so I don't come back to broken windows and missing gear.

Those of us that work out of our cars, this is great news.

I am more distracted by my friends in the car than by anything in the car itself.

Robert

Old 01-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

These options could be added using a heads up display, that would help keep your eyes somwhat on the road. There are too many distractions now while driving.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:31 AM
Pragmatist
Smile Re: In car computing...the future is here...and it's scary!

And, here is the desk that you will need to go with that computer and keyboard:

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Office-...3472185&sr=8-1

Be sure to look at the images and read the comments. They're hilarious.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not sure, but a few years ago I heard (on a show on the History Channel about the autobahn) that Mercedes engineers deliberately didn't include cup holders in their cars because...a driver should drive the car, not spend time eating or drinking.
I don't know if they still adhere to that standard, but it seemed to be smart design...which (you can tell by my thread here) I think Ford's decision is anything but.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:45 AM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by Red
The distraction is taking eyes off the road and hands off the steering wheel.
Actually, the major issue with cell phones is taking the mind off the driving.
Several large and well-designed studies have shown that hands-free phones are not any safer than hand-held phones.

Of course, taking the eyes of the road for any extended period is also a very bad idea, as is taking both hands off the steering wheel. We see that in study results showing that texting while driving is much more dangerous than cell-phoning while driving.

I can just imagine someone typing with both hands, while looking at the monitor, and talking on a cell phone, at 75 mph. Even on a bright clear day with perfect weather, I would give him (or her -- let's not be sexist) about 10 seconds before he hits something.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:52 AM
Pragmatist

If the computer is integrated with the vehicle, so that it does not work while the car is moving, it might actually be safer than the ad-hoc things people do today to use a laptop.

Whenever you take the shifter out of "park", the screen should go black, the sound from the speakers should stop, and the keyboard and mouse should stop working. Basically, it should "hibernate".

Compare that with the non-integrated laptop that many mobile people have today. It is "mounted" where the driver can see it and touch it, and it continues to work while the vehicle is moving. The temptation to click on an email is there. It takes discipline and self-control to refrain.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:52 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

Yes, Mercedes resisted for years putting cup holders in their well-designed interiors. I believe they were motivated by both aesthetics and safety.

They resisted what they thought was an odd American desire to turn their cars into moving diners. W know how that ended. The customer shall not be denied. Mercedes are now loaded with cup holders.

I dislike them because they take away from otherwise useful storage for those of us who don't buy 36 oz-sized servings of soda pop.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:54 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

>> . . here is the desk that you will need to go with that computer and keyboard.

Oh my! The images say it all. Where's a cop when you need one.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:20 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The Ford MyTouch system does not permit you to use a keyboard while the vehicle is in motion. There are three main types of "Driver Distractions"--

eyes off the road (visual).
mind off the road (cognitive).
hands off the steering wheel (manual).
The main distractions boil dowm to:
• cell phone use.
• reaching for a moving object inside the vehicle.
• looking at an object or event outside of the vehicle.
• Reading a newspaper, a book, or a map.
• Personal grooming, such as hair grooming, shaving, or applying makeup.
• Smoking and dealing with lighting up, putting out cigarettes, or falling ashes.
• Working in your car: typing on a laptop, making business calls, and writing notes or reports.

Through the use of voice commands, MyTouch reduces the hands off the steering wheel and eyes off the road distractions. You are not going to stop people from talking to passengers, talking on the cell phone, singing, etc. but you can reduce the total amount of distraction, which is what MyTouch does.

Tell a 20-30 year old that they can't talk in their car - nope ain't gonna work.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
If the computer is integrated with the vehicle, so that it does not work while the car is moving,...
It seems that every other post in these forums is about hacks that bypass the NAV warning screen or complaints about not being able to program it (presumably by a passenger) whilst car is in motion. As there is a cottage industry in jail breaking iPhones, etc., so will there be software adjustments available that allow computing at 70 MPH (IMHO).

Quick Reply: In car computing...the future is here...and it's scary!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands